Spoiled by Coz, now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our favorite places to go besides coz are, bonaire, little cayman, grand turk. our priorities are diving quality, value, organization, food, accomodations.

I agree with ronski101 but, I would add roatan to his list.

Mexico is going to be your cheapest, as far as I know, dive destination outside the U.S. If you are traveling on a budget, don't forget to consider food costs when planning trips. Some locations mentioned are = $$$.
You can go to Isla Mujeres , Mexico, even cheaper than Cozumel. It is a very small island off the coast of Cancun. Just get cheap flights to Cancun, take transportation to the ferry in Cancun, & ride ferry across to the island of Isla. Small island, not the hassle of Cozumel, good rooms, at link below, for $35-+. Diving is not as good as Cozumel, but plenty good enough, & expect to see plenty of fish & reef sharks. Very laid back place & reminds me of what Cozumel was like in the 1980's.
Isla Mujeres Budget Rentals - Isla Mujeres shopping----------------Carnival
Isla Mujeres .info Q&A Message Board List [ lots of info here ]
Coral Scuba Dive Center - Isla Mujeres, Cancun, Mexico - Diving, PADI certification, snorkeling Dive shop. If you have experience, take their adventure dives ]

You can go to Isla Mujeres , Mexico, even cheaper than Cozumel. It is a very small island off the coast of Cancun. Just get cheap flights to Cancun, take transportation to the ferry in Cancun, & ride ferry across to the island of Isla. Small island, not the hassle of Cozumel...

Cozumel is a hassle for you? You must have a very low Hassle Threshold... ;^)

HASSLE? What hassle.

In MY opinion , putting up with all the time-share salemen, rental car people, salemen, etc., etc., harassing you on every corner, IS a hassle. Or annoying may be a better word. Compared to the Cozumel, in the 1980's , there is a big difference.

In MY opinion , putting up with all the time-share salemen, rental car people, salemen, etc., etc., harassing you on every corner, IS a hassle. Or annoying may be a better word. Compared to the Cozumel, in the 1980's , there is a big difference.

There were always folks on the street corners trying to sell something to the turistas, even in the 80's, but they are quite easily avoided. But anyway, I've been going to Cozumel since 1978, and I've seen all the changes. On my first trip there, Chankanaab was literally just a wide place in the road and you could snorkel in the lagoon.

Change happens. Such is life.

Hardly a reason to avoid the best diving spot on the planet. I say something to them in french and walk away. Works everytime.

Hardly a reason to avoid the best diving spot on the planet. I say something to them in french and walk away. Works everytime.

ROFLMAO!!
I have been ignoring them for almost 10 years, which works. IMO thats part of the charm of MX. "Hey Mr., I have a deal for you"! Dont make eye contact with them and just ignore them and they wont bother you or kindly say "no thanks" and go about your business.

I have been diving in what, about 7 different places. Always compare them to Coz and they are just not the same. Which is fine. Coz is our home away from home and love the trip twice a year. It's just a great place. Gordon, your right, it has changed and you have been going much longer than I. Frankly I am glad I have not been going that long as that might be even more depressing. Each time we go it seems a bit more commericalized and that is a shame. If they are not careful they will ruin a great thing. Until they do, we will enjoy it as much as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom