Spools: Derlin vs ABS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi_alx

Reaction score
Hi

Just a question about finger spools. What is the difference (if any) between a "machined" Derlin finger spool (ala Halcyon) vs. an ABS spool (say from OMS). I'm looking for a spool with at least 150ft of #24 line), preferably with "cold water" features (ie. suitable for handling with thick gloves.

thanks

Alex

hi_alx:
Hi

Just a question about finger spools. What is the difference (if any) between a "machined" Derlin finger spool (ala Halcyon) vs. an ABS spool (say from OMS). I'm looking for a spool with at least 150ft of #24 line), preferably with "cold water" features (ie. suitable for handling with thick gloves.

thanks

Alex

i have one delrin and one abs. the delrins are much more robust and solid compared to the abs plastic. only difference is that delrin is much stronger than the plastic. that doesnt mean that the plastic is weak, will take extreme force to crack em but it happens. just picked up a salvo 150' spool with holes big enough for thick gloves.

Delrin (DuPont's brand of acetal) and ABS are both plastics. Delrin is referred to as an "engineering" plastic because it is stronger and more resistant to distortion under load. ABS is "commodity" plastic because it is cheaper and easier to mold, however because of it's flexibility, is relatively hard to break. Delrin is also denser, so it would tend to sink, as ABS would tend to float.

Ultimately, it depends on how suited the plastic is suited to the design it's used in.

Worked in plastics in a past life.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom