Spoon as a third hand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jcp2

15’ vis is a good day in the pond
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The instructions to install an Ultima system onto a latex seal recommend having an assistant to open the cuff wide enough to place the suit side ring in evenly. Having no willing assistant in my house, I found that a spoon can be useful.

I put the cuff on a carpeted surface and then put the bowl of a spoon inside the bottom edge of the cuff, convex side down, handle out. I then put my foot on the handle of the spoon to hold the bottom of the cuff in place, put the ring between my foot and the cuff, use my two hands to pull up and out to open up the cuff, and slide the ring into the opening.

The reason I didn’t slide the ring up the sleeve is that it is a trilaminate suit with a sleeve diameter less than the ring, and the cuff is cone rather than bottleneck.

I’m not really expecting anybody else to adopt this, but am hoping for others to share less silly techniques to put in rings inside latex cuffs.

Now onto dive testing to see if the system is as good as advertised.

Reporting back, the system works and my hands are dry. Now to work on an intermittent neck seal leak…

Back
Top Bottom