Sportsways Valve Find

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonbeans

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A vintage dive buddy obtained this Sportsways valve recently. Thinking it was one of the later ones with a 3/4" O-ring (Sportways called it 15/16") or what we feel is "standard" today, he was surprised when it appears to be an older 1/2" O-ring (Sportsway designed as 3/4" O-ring) valve with a bushing.

Sportsways introduced the 1/2" straight O-ring valve in 1960 and changed over to what we use today, the 3/4" O-ring in 1966 or 1967. So the question I have is that the bushing that this valve has to convert from 1/2" O-ring to 3/4" O-ring appears to be very well made. Is it possible that Sportways produced and sold such a bushing to convert the valves to the new (now standard) thread? [The shut off knob also changed in this same time frame 1966 0r 1967.] Unfortunately I do not have access to the 1966 Sportways Catalog, thus the circa 1966 or 1967 data.

SportswaysValve1.jpg

SportswaysValve3.jpg

SportswaysValve2.jpg

Very interesting Allan. If it's plated brass, odds are it was comercially made, if it's SS then it may be homebrew.
I am currently making a part that looks very similar for a VDH member who is restoring a RAID. The original was plated brass, the one I am making will be SS.

A review of 1964,1965, 1966 & 1967 Sportsways catalogs does not list a conversion bushing.

This is possibly a industral bushing used in HP applications, such as Oil field, Steam fittings etc.
There were a variety of conversion bushings made from a equal variety of metals used in that era. The Brass Plumbers bushing (LP but was used) Ferous metal from the oil industry and possibly SS for a anti-corrosion applications

Perhaps Mc Masters & Carr catalog?

sdm

Further information and update. The bushing appears to be brass with chrome plating. A vintage scuba collector has emailed the owner of the valve that Sportsways did make and market this particular bushing for their 1/2" O-ring valve to be used in the "standard" 3/4" O-ring sealed tanks.

What year?

Nothing listed for the years I reviewed.

Closer inspection of the second photograph of the top of the bushing appears to be brass

sdm

Good questions Sam. I will see if I can find out. The valve is not mine, but I have an interest in the piece and, for my own interest, wanted to know. If I learn more information I will let you know. Maybe someone who reads here might have some information that could shed some light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom