Spring Preparation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't the local dive shops around you offer pool sessions? That is how I do mine, I go to the shop I was certified at and jump in on one of their pool sessions, minus the instruction.

Sounds like a very good plan -- you might consider practicing air-sharing as well.

Good idea. I have not done that in quite a while.

My new wetsuit came today. I am going from a 3mm to a 7/6. Any suggestion for how much weight to add as a starting point? I know I'll have to play around with it, but do you know of any rule of thumb for approximately how much to add?

Thanks!
-Mike-

Don't the local dive shops around you offer pool sessions? That is how I do mine, I go to the shop I was certified at and jump in on one of their pool sessions, minus the instruction.

Fair question. I was certified a couple hours away from here. There are not any that are closer. If figure that if I'm going to drive a couple hours, I might as well drive to a lake instead of the pool. (I really live in the wrong part of the country for this hobby.)

-Mike-

Good idea. I have not done that in quite a while.

My new wetsuit came today. I am going from a 3mm to a 7/6. Any suggestion for how much weight to add as a starting point? I know I'll have to play around with it, but do you know of any rule of thumb for approximately how much to add?

Thanks!
-Mike-

These days I only dive drysuit, but I've heard many recommendations about adding 1kg/mm of neoprene (that's about 2lbs/mm). This should mean that you should add about 3-4kg or 6-8lbs of lead. Be sure to make a proper weight-check at the end of your dive with almost no gas in your cylinder (~50 bar/725 psi). You should be able to do a proper safety stop at 10fsw (3 meters) with no gas in your bcd.

Greetings Sqishy and cold water is awesome! Your desire to prepare well tells me you are a safe minded diver. When diving in cold environments there are some extra things to prepare for; breathing from a free-flowing reg, mask skills, and hypothermia. I am sure that there are more but I am in a hurry. I like the pool practice and it is a part of our training yearly. I also would recommend considering a dry suit. I was hesitant at first but after the purchase I have found that my diving season really does not end.
Our geografic locations pre-dispose us to cold water diving most of the time so it is logical to be an active all season diver dry suits are helpfu. Not to mention so nice and warm!
My pre-dive preparation begins with visualizing getting geared up piece by piece, then packing it into my bag. I scrutenize everything! Every dump valve, snap, computer, watch, mask, all of it. I know it is anal but I believe it is part of being a good buddy.
We detail dive plans and go over them a minimum of twice to ensure everyone is on the same page. Our pre-dive safty check is done before every dive and goes into detail. I love to gear up because it allows me to rewind my packing from the night before and when I hit the water I have been over my gear three complete times.
I have had very few failures but still have had some be prepared to handle these un-seen emergencies. TRAIN FOR THE UNEXPECTED! Be prepared.
Sounds like a lot of prep but it makes the diving awesome!
Have fun and dive with in your limits.
Cam G Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

1. No Spring tune up, dived all winter frigidly
2. Recover from hernia op. in 4 more weeks so can consider lifting steel 120.

I dive all year so do not have any kind of spring preperation other than pulling out my wetsuit and packing away my drysuit once it hits 17C in the water. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom