Spring Straps and trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A few months ago, I installed spring straps on my Mares A. Quattros. In general, I've been really satisfied with the convenience and peace of mind this conversion offers.

Concerning trim, the extra weight of the springs has improved my trim wearing a drysuit and 6.5 mm wetsuit (helps keep the feet from floating). However, I just did some warm water diving this past week wearing a 3mm shorty, and found my feet constantly falling down into a vertical position. It was a slow subtle pull, but there. Whenever I tried to relax into a horizontal hover, I would inevitably fall into vertical, or need to fin to keep horizontal.

Any expereince with this is warm gear. To combat, I am considering:
1. Trying 3mm full in warm water
2. Rig some slight flotation band for my ankles (the opposite of ankle weights)
3. ????

Any experience or comments????

JAG

Move your tank around, either higher or lower (which one depends on whether it's steel vs aluminum and whether you're having this issue near the beginning or end of the dive.)

Also bend your knees more, so your 'leg lever' is shorter. It will move your centre of gravity higher on your body.

You might shift some of your weight to the top of your tank or pockets on the back of your bc (if you have them). Block weights could be installed on a cam band (what I do) or some wrap an ankle weight around the valve. A combination weight adjustment and tank positioning should cure the problem.

Ralph

Back
Top Bottom