Spring straps, how tight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aigtbootbp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just over to spring straps but it seems they are not very snug. There is some tension against my heel when they are on but nowhere near as much as I am used to. Does this seem correct? Just how tight should they be?

Spring straps will not feel as tight as rubber straps. When I first started using them I thought they were not going to be tight enough but they have worked out. The issue with spring straps is that you have to buy the right size because for the most part they don't adjust. Use them as they are and see if you kick a fin off. If you do, you need to go down one size.

They're not gonna be as tight as standard rubber straps, but they should still be pretty tight. Overall, I would say my spring straps feel about 15% less tight than my rubber straps were (and I pulled the rubber straps pretty tight). Realize that if your springs are somewhat loose, you run the risk of the fin coming off, getting knocked off in surgy condtions, etc. Also, the deeper you decend the more compressed the neoprene in your boot becomes; e.g. your fins are gonna be looser at 50ft than they are on the surface. Not sure if this will help at all, but as a point of reference I have the Innovative spring straps in size large (my shoe size is 11-11.5) and they feel almost perfect...maybe ever-so-slightly too big (this is with a 5mm non-rock boot).

why do you need straps?

I don't need them, I want them so I got a pair.
I have had a few difficult moments removing my fins before climbing back into the boat and once or twice when putting them on when shore diving, Of course the waves/surf was the real problem. I am hoping the spring straps (since all you have to do to pull them up over your heel and not worry about snugging them up once they are on) will alleviate some of the difficulties.

As far as proper "fit" for a spring strap, this was copied from Leisurepro's website:

"How to select your fin Spring Strap
Insert your Dive Boot into your fin pocket with a measuring tape, measure the distance from the Center of one pin, around your boot heel, to the Center of the pin on the other side of the fin. Select the spring strap size that is SHORTER than your measurement by 1/2" to 1 1/2"."

So, while seems logical that the spring strap size should match the fin size (i.e., Large fin uses a size Large spring strap), it may not and you really do need to measure.

In general, the spring strap will feel a little bit looser than a conventional strap, because most folks over-tighten the conventional strap... but it should not feel so loose that your foot is flopping around in the fin :wink:

Hope this helps.

I've found I can't use spring straps, at least not on my current fins which I have no intention of giving up. My foot does not stick far out of my fin, so the spring cannot be that long. Which means the length it will stretch is not that much. So basically if the strap is tight enough to keep the fin on, it's not stretchy enough to get on and off. I had a custom made pair once. They were loose enough that I lost a fin in some rough conditions and it was NOT a good time. Yet I couldn't stretch the things worth a damn. A little shorter and maybe they would have been tight enough to keep my fins on, but I wouldn't have been able to put my fins on to begin with.

So do watch out for too loose a fit, if you feel like you could lose the fins you just might. The non-adjustability of springs may be a problem for some people.

I use Apollo Bio Fins, which come from the factory with SS spring straps, so there's no need to customize/jury rig anything, and they've worked out GREAT! I've seen other divers buy conventional fins, then later try to add SS spring straps to them, and most of the conversions look pretty cheesy/flimsy.

Does this apply to Atomic's Splitfin Spring Straps as well? They don't seem to sell different sizes for those straps, so how would that work?

I was considering picking up a pair of them for my splitfins, but I didn't realize they would be looser than rubber straps...

I've got spring straps on my Atomic splits and love them. Very comfortable and slipping them on and off is a breeze.

They did take some getting used to, though, as they were so light around my ankles that I thought that the springs might be too loose. I probably cinched my old straps up too tight and was used to more pressure than was needed. I remember when I first got them I kept looking to make sure they were still on, then kicking around all over the place to see if they would shake off. Never happened.

I've got 50 or so dives on them now with no issues. Easily my favorite fins.

As far as Atomic spring sizing goes, you might give Darcy at Atomic a call. One thing I love about Atomic is you can always get someone there on the phone to answer any questions. No hiding behind voice mail or byzantine phone trees. (714) 375-1433

Of course, with all gear it's best to try before you buy, if possible, and even then you won't really know until you've had a chance to use them in the "real world."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom