Spyderco Saver Salt - Anyone use one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozziworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi,

I just got a Spyderco Saver Salt in H1 Stainless.

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=264

I noticed that the clip is black metal and was wondering if this will rust.

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with these knives. Any comments will be appreciated.

I was hoping to just leave this knife in my bc pocket and was hoping minimum maintenance. :wink:

I've had one for about 30 dives now, it replaced a Remora that I also kept in a pocket. It's never left my pocket, it's more for insurance. I don't think I really need a dive knife, and especially don't want one that hangs off me, but I'm hedging my bets. I also have a Hook7 on my BC belt, and EMT shears in a different pocket. The knife seems the least useful of the three for anything that might happen during a dive, but there are things the other two couldn't handle. Never needed any of them during a dive. Would be pissed if I did and didn't have them.

That's not a lot of use, but it seems to be in fine shape with just some fresh water rinsing at the end of trips. The logo on the blade looks a little corroded, but I read somewhere here or elsewhere that that's just residue from the non-stainless tooling that created the logo, and not the blade corroding, and I believe that's true. Hardly noticeable.

I removed the clip, it seemed pointless and even problematic for use in a pocket. Just required a screwdriver. I added a nylon cord wrist strap and SS boltsnap and attach that to a D-ring inside the pocket. It's not a quick-draw setup, but I don't want one.

I own a Spyder Salt I Black FRN knife since they started making it. I don't use it in the water because I feel that foldable knives don't meet my criteria for a dive knive/ cutting tool. I carry in my pants/ shorts everyday. The handle has not rusted in all that time. It has been used around salt water a lot. I have never rinsed it outside of cleaning it after cutting fish, meat or anything that will mess it up.

Being from the Philippines I know that you don't have to deal with drygloves and not worry about losing it because it got itself unclipped accidentally. I dive with three cutting tools. I have a simple knife with a serrated edge on a webbed sheath on my waist belt, I have a Dive rite line cutter on my bungee cord on my Uwatec Bottom timer, and I have a Tekna mini knife on my goodman handle of my light. If I need a cutting edge, I want it there now, I don't want to waste time to open it, and make sure I don;t drop it when I try opening it :wink:

I have owned many Spyderco knives in the last 25 years. I have lost many. One of them is on the bottom on the ocean in dive resort in El Nido, Palawan.

I will always own a Spyderco knive. I have another SS Harpy that I though I had lost and found it mowing my lawn last year. It now sits in a wooden case because it was gift from a special friend and I don't want to lost it.

Jim

Hi eelpout, I too currently have the TEKNA knife (the one piece knife with skeletonized handle) have been diving with that knife for twenty two years. I have it attached to my power inflator. My only complaint is it does occasionally show some rust and over the years has some minor pitting.

I got the Spyderco because I have always liked how sharp they are. I have six of them and the latest one is the Saver Salt.

I have not used a knife while diving since my spearfishing days. Where I dive most often these days, I have little potential for entanglement (warm,clear tropical water :D) and mostly see the knife doing light duties during SIs.

Must say, my TEKNA has served me well and I wish it were available in H1.

I've not had problems.

I've carried one for about 75-100 dives. It's attached via snap bolt to a D-ring in my pocket. Not a hint of rust at this point. Spyderco makes excellent knives.

My primary cutting tools are a small zip knife and a pair of cutting shears. Those get replaced every season.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom