• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Squid at Breakwater Sunday

Discussion in 'NorCal' started by Jak Crow, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Jak Crow

Jak Crow Photographer

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    We were coming back from a boat dive yesterday when we encountered a pod of risso's dolphins just outside of Breakwater. They were corralling the squid that were laying eggs at Breakwater. There were a couple large adults that kept breaching behind the boat. Very cool. I decided to do a dive at Breakwater to find the squid, which I did. Eggs everywhere, dead squid everywhere, live squid not looking so good, females coming into the cluster to lay eggs, dozens on the fringes mating and hangout around. It was all very impressive. And on my way back I came across a single strand of kelp covered in hooded nudibranchs with hoods the size of my hand. This dive made up for the lousy conditions for the boat dives.
    WOLF1755.jpg WOLF1753.jpg WOLF1660.jpg WOLF1822.jpg WOLF1814.jpg WOLF1796.jpg WOLF1794.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
    Drewpy, kathydee, Peter_C and 2 others like this.
  2. mobeeno

mobeeno Contributor

Cool pics, nice ending

3. alibi 2

alibi 2 Divemaster

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Way cool! which part of BreakWater did you see all the squid? was it a night dive? We dove breakwater yesterday. One to the pipe and the second across middle reef...only a couple of our divers reported seeing squid during the dives,,,but we were near the bottom looking at the rocks and those that did see squid reported them in the kelp...

4. Jak Crow

Jak Crow Photographer

This was during the day. I started from the wall side and headed out at about 45-65 degrees from the beach. I found them at a depth of about 50ft, and before the metridiums. I assume given the activity of the animals on the surface, and the amount of eggs, I found the many cluster. Now it's a matter waiting for them to hatch, which will make for another impressive sight I think. They should start hatching the middle of next month.

5. Rob Wilks

Rob Wilks Contributor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I was there (breakwater) today and saw them as well. bout 40ft. just off the wall out in the sand. Lots of octopus having a feast on the dead and dying. Several Lings too, fat and happy. Had some great encounters with some sea lions a bit further up the wall. Vis was 15, maybe 20 in some spots. Fun dive. Thanks Jim and Sean!
    Hope you all get a chance to check it out!

6. NeopreneGirl

NeopreneGirl Registered

# of Dives: 200 - 499
  7. norbs007

norbs007 Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Sounds like a good dive... great pictures too. I better come out and check them out soon.

8. danvolker

danvolker Dive Shop

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Nice macro, but where are the Dolphin pics ? :)

9. Jak Crow

Jak Crow Photographer

I was operating with a 9-18mm wide angle, but:

WOLF1569.jpg WOLF1563.jpg WOLF1562.jpg

danvolker likes this.
  10. norbs007

norbs007 Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Nice...