Squid Encounters...Real or For Entertaiment Purposes Only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last June my wife and I went to Bonaire and were thrilled that we got to swim with a few squid. They might have been 20" and you have to be very still for them to approach you.

If you stay at Buddy's there is a dock behind the pool with a light shinning into the water. This attracts small fish witch in turn attracts the squid. from the stairs you can watch them rush in for a meal. Very cool.

My advice, keep your fingers crossed that you get to see some up close. they are super neat and about as threatening as a rabbit.

I've found most things in the water just assume you are one of them. If you're on the surface thrashing around you *could* be food (most aquatic animals have their eyes facing where they can look up!). But if you're underwater you're just another large thing to stay out of the way of...

The diving outfit is Gone To Baja Expeditions.

INACTIVE

For some reason their website is down.

Did not even notice it!

The site is back up now. Been dealing with the aftermath of the poor man that was killed by the shark bite during the shark feed tour (not mine). Just like sharks you can find Humboldt squid in alot of places. But just like sharks if you want to dive with them on a FOR SURE thing, you have to go looking for them. That means diving in areas where they are known to have year round populations like the Sea of Cortez. I have seen un-baited Humboldts attack each other for no apparent reason other than the other squid was no paying attention.

We wear full body Neptunic Shark suits for protection of our customers and us. We have had 3 customers attacked in 3 years of operation all with 0 injuries. Two of the attacks were not on purpose, one of them was (we put him in a feeding frenzy for a TV show).

Humboldts are open water animals, you very rarely find them in water with a bottom depth of under 100ft. Regular squid are another story and you have nothing to worry about.

All Squid are cool.

The history channel show is on mar 9 at 11am again Giant Squid Found
:D

Last year I got some video of a Humboldt Squid up in Monterey (150 fsw). A few of its tentacles were missing and it was nearly dead...most likely attacked by the other squid deeper and it went shallow to get away.

Was about 3-4' long.

.... have discovered that they are sadistic, man-eating, blood sucking crazy animals that roam the seven oceans (seven?)...

Just a smear campaign against my character! :D

.... squids are the last thing you have to worry about. Enjoy your open-water class, enjoy your trip to Bonair, and if you chose so, don't dive in the sea of cortez!

Unless you're part of the smear campaign.

.... They so cute and amazing and you are blessed if you have an encounter.....We were lucky enough to have a group of them come visit us on a dive ... It was soooooooo amazing. One of my best diving experiences EVER.

Would you care to be my defender and publicist?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom