SR1 vs Mares Abyss 22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i recently bought the abyss 22 based on recommendations from this forum... did a shallow dive with it for testing and it works great, will have to put it through the paces when i get some more dive time...

I had a SR1 and it is the best breathing reg I have ever owned. Is, in my opinion, much better breathing than my current apeks XTX200 I currently dive with and the apeks is no slouch. Having said that see the part about my current XTX200? I had multiply problems out of the SR1. Had the 1st stage explode on me twice, as in 2 times. Which in my mind is 2 times too many. I, posted in the sherwood thread with crickets from the rep. While my wife might not agree I decided my life was not worth the risk of continuing to dive the SR1. I bought mine early and maybe that's the issue but I just didn't feel it was trustworthy.

I have two SR1s - the older one is a very early model and has given me a lot of grief. The newer one has performed flawlessly, particularly on deep air dives where breathing resistance is a big issue. I have never tried the (even newer) SR1+.

I just bought the MR42T (first stage) with the Abyss second stage; the second stage with the 22 or 42 is the same (they're called the Abyss). I can't complain so far with the breathability and workmanship. Free parts for life provided you follow the service schedule is nice. I think ScubaPro has changed this policy recently, so Mares was it for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom