• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

SSI AOW versus Deep diving speciality

Discussion in 'SSI: Scuba Schools International' started by Pat85, Oct 18, 2019.

1. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    The only cert I've ever been asked for by an operator other than OW and nitrox, is AOW. Do operators routinely recognize the equivalency and accept SSI Advanced Adventurer?

Blueringocto_73 likes this.
  2. stepfen

stepfen Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    and
    As said for PADI's AOW one has to do deep - hence with an AOW card the diver can dive down to 100ft/30m.
    Interestingly for SSI's Advanced Adventurer deep and navigation are not required (the diver can choose any 5 specialties) - hence the two cards are not always equivalent.
    I became aware of this "detail" only because a friend of mine is doing SSI AA this weekend and he showed me the requirements.
    We used to dive with 2 instructors and as a group we have done ~100ft dives together several times hence he was thinking to choose something more useful (i.e. new) to him instead of deep. I insisted that he'd better do deep and have it written on the card to avoid potential future problems with operators etc.

Initially I couldn't believe one could do AA without deep. I wonder why they do it this way.

3. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    It is interesting that the equivalency charts I've seen brought up show them as equilivent. Of course there is no ISO or WRSTC standard for AOW so I guess there is nothing to be equilivent to, and could be the reason SSI has a completely different AOW program than other agencies.

How it's done, in practice, may have more divers taking nav and deep than not, I would hope.

Bob

Blueringocto_73 likes this.
  4. rick00001967

rick00001967 Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    haha i was reading without my glasses on. that will teach me. i read that you lived in Duluth which is n minnesota usa. haha

Pat85 likes this.
  5. Pat85

Pat85 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Cool, seems like a good read. Thanks for the recommendation, I could even find it in my Dutch webshop,so I ordered it!

6. RogueClimber

RogueClimber ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    This is SSI's description of Advanced Adventurer

To me this does not sound like an equivalent to PADI AOW but just a sampler to learn what you want to do next. SSI AOWD requires completing 4 specialty courses and 24 open water dives. The next step after AOWD is Master Diver which is adding Rescue and a total of 50 dives.

7. athigunk

athigunk BKK Divers

Is that not how PADI AOW works? 5 introductory dives, one on each specialty? Aka, sample platter

8. athigunk

athigunk BKK Divers

That is what it is. If one of the selected specialties is deep diving then you can go to 30m upon certification.

9. Tribal

Tribal Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    The only guided dives I ever did are a few dives of 3 different LOBs in Egypte.
    They just ask your C- card and insurance and after that they threat all AOW and similairs the same. Max depth is 40m or whatever your PPo2 says it is.

10. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    In other locations dive ops restrict divers maximum depth to the recommended maximum depth of the certification, OW 60', AOW 100', Deep 130'. It may be driven by the dive op's insurance carrier, or just an easy, not necessarily accurate, way to assess the experience of the diver.

Bob