SSI Class - Failed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's this "required vs optional" skills you speak of. Are you not allowed to exceed agency standards with SSI?

As long as I'm doing minimum standards and my additional requirements don't put the students in danger, I can add anything I want.

What's this "required vs optional" skills you speak of. Are you not allowed to exceed agency standards with SSI?

As long as I'm doing minimum standards and my additional requirements don't put the students in danger, I can add anything I want.

You can add pretty much whatever you want, but it can't be a requirement for certification. If I want to include "Fish Calling", there's nothing to stop me, but it isn't a requirement and doesn't count for anything.

However, even more than the certification agency problem is the "getting your ass sued off doing something non-standard" problem, so if Jim, for example, adds a "gear switch while buddy breathing" to his OW class, and someone bolts for the surface and dies during the exercise, he's going to be in a very difficult position because no commonly used certification agencies teach this.

flots.

Last edited:
And, if the entire class failed, then I would agree, the teacher did a bad job. In those College Algebra courses, the teacher often applied statistical curves, within reason, to understand how the class did. Unfortunately, SCUBA is a different story. If you can’t find X, you probably won’t die, but if you can’t get to the surface again safely, you will…so SCUBA instructors can’t apply a curve the same way.

Actually if you have to use your algebra to design a bridge and you find the wrong X finally the bridge will collapse and a lot of people will die...

I have been to ths shop before. I have never had a good feeling from Malcom (the instructor and owner). the problems I have had are:

1) i went into the shop to get a vip on a set of doubles. They have a price listed on the wall for the extra fee for doubles. When I asked to have it done Malcom said we aint doing it but you can take them apart on the floor. Why offer a service and then say nope? I took them apart, he looked inside and puy the stickers on them and then I put them together. After I had the bands on they covered the stickers. So I had to return to get a second set of stickers put on thet you could see.

2) ALL of his VIP stickers expire Jan 1st. I had a couple of tanks viped in September. when I went to get fills in january I realized they were all expired. I asked about just getting them done and Malcoms responce was It is a good time for everyone to get their tanks viped so I have them all expire at the end of the year. It didnt matter that he did the vip 3.5 months before.

3) Every time I go into the shop for a nitrox fill he ALWAYS says I will see what I can do, I may not have enough gas. Why sell the stuff and then complain when I come in to buy it?

4) when I have droped of my tanks for service 2 days always seem to turn into 2 weeks.

The shop has been open a lomg time. He is the second owner and has probably been the owner for at least 10 years.

My recomendation is go some where else.

---------- Post Merged at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Last edited:
I have been to ths shop before. I have never had a good feeling from Malcom (the instructor and owner). the problems I have had are:

1) i went into the shop to get a vip on a set of doubles. They have a price listed on the wall for the extra fee for doubles. When I asked to have it done Malcom said we aint doing it but you can take them apart on the floor. Why offer a service and then say nope? I took them apart, he looked inside and puy the stickers on them and then I put them together. After I had the bands on they covered the stickers. So I had to return to get a second set of stickers put on thet you could see.

2) ALL of his VIP stickers expire Jan 1st. I had a couple of tanks viped in September. when I went to get fills in january I realized they were all expired. I asked about just getting them done and Malcoms responce was It is a good time for everyone to get their tanks viped so I have them all expire at the end of the year. It didnt matter that he did the vip 3.5 months before.

3) Every time I go into the shop for a nitrox fill he ALWAYS says I will see what I can do, I may not have enough gas. Why sell the stuff and then complain when I come in to buy it?

4) when I have droped of my tanks for service 2 days always seem to turn into 2 weeks.

The shop has been open a lomg time. He is the second owner and has probably been the owner for at least 10 years.

---------- Post Merged at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:43 PM ----------

I am little relieved to see i am not the only one. Wonder what it would take to have him take some training on being an owner.

I am little relieved to see i am not the only one. Wonder what it would take to have him take some training on being an owner.

regrettably, usually only bankrupcy....

Report this to SSI. Total BS. The instructor is obliged to get all students ready for the open water dives at no additional charge. Short of absurd efforts, anyway

The part about all the VIPs expiring at the same time because HE "thinks its a good idea" shows that he is a LDS-scuba-tool.

The part about all the VIPs expiring at the same time because HE "thinks its a good idea" shows that he is a LDS-scuba-tool.

Wow, he told us in class they need to be inspected once a year. Guess he should have probably added if we do it in his shop it should be at the beginning of January.

I stopped into his shop yesterday and told him of this thread and told him that it looked bad for his shop and it would be in his shops best intrest to respond and try and remedy situation. I have not seen any post by him so I guess he does not really care. It is a shame because we do not have that many shops in Maryland. If I were the OP I would go to Aquaventure in timmonium and talk to the owner Mike and see if he could do something for you. He is SSI and if my wife decides to get certified I would make her go to him. I have been to one of his pool dives getting a friend wet again and have personaly watched him and his interaction with students and he is first rate. If I were not PADI I would go to him for all my specialtys.

Back
Top Bottom