SSI OW and PADI Nitrox - do they play well together?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alucard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I got SSI OW certified a few years back and this trip while on Grand Cayman got tired of being tired after the morning dives. Various people suggested Nitrox, so I took the PADI course (which was the only one that was offered). Passed the exam, and did two Open Water Check-dives (which got signed off by the dive leader).

So, the question: Does this count as one of the four "Specialty Courses" that I need in order to get the SSSI AOW c-card? is there anything special that I have to do in order for it to count, or do I just send away the completed form to PADI and await my NITROX card?

Any advice from the SSI instructors on here would be appreciated.

Congrats on your nitrox cert. PADI and SSI acknowledge each others training courses up until the pro level so you should have no problem applying this towards your AOW cert.

Congrats on your nitrox cert. PADI and SSI acknowledge each others training courses up until the pro level so you should have no problem applying this towards your AOW cert.

Not exactly. For example, to become a PADI Master Scuba Diver you need to do PADI Rescue (or equivalent) and five PADI specialty courses, they don't recognise specialty courses from other agencies.

Not being an SSI instructor, I can't address the OP - but I would very much doubt that a PADI specialty course would count towards an SSI AOW certification in the same way as above. Hopefully an SSI instructor will be along shortly to help you out, if not best to call your local SSI shop and ask them the question.

Sorry I should have stated as an SSI instructor I believe you should have no problem applying your PADI Nitrox cert towards getting your SSI AOW cert.

i work for a SSI dive shop and we have people come in all the time with the same issue you sould be fine!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom