SSI to other agency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitch4g94

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have been certified with SSI in Basic OW, Nitrox and Stress Rescue. I have recently moved and the local dive shops teach PADI. I am currently looking to attend an advanced OW course, can I use PADI or should I find a SSI instructor?

You can use PADI. But they don't have the experience requirement that we have in SSI. You know that SSI requires four specialties and 24 logged dives to become advanced open water. PADI only requires an open water certification with four logged dives.
So, if you go PADI, the experience portion is on you. But, PADI will honor your stress and rescue once you've completed advanced open water. Unlike SSI, to take Rescue Diver (Stress and Rescue in SSI), you have to be advanced open water and have taken Emergency First Response (React Right in SSI). It's ok though. Just get Advanced and EFR or React Right and they'll honor your Stress and Rescue.
It may sound confusing, but it's really not. I was a PADI Assistant Instructor before became an SSI Open Water Instructor. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Thank you, going to stick with SSI.

I have been certified with SSI in Basic OW, Nitrox and Stress Rescue. I have recently moved and the local dive shops teach PADI. I am currently looking to attend an advanced OW course, can I use PADI or should I find a SSI instructor?
I see you are in NY!!
True, PADI requires only ow certification to participate in an advance ow class.There are 5 dives in advance. Two (2) of the dives are "core" dives-navigation and deep.the other 3 are electives. You get quite a bit of experience in these dives only if you apply yourself.Costs run any where from $189. to $250. locally.Depends on if shore based,such as Dutch Springs or a boat,such as in LI Sound.

The SSI program is more dives,but much more time and $$$.Almost more like PADI's version of "master scuba diver".

Both give you access to the same dives.It all comes down to it is just a card.Anyone can earn it,but you only learn from it if you apply yourself and make use of the knowledge and skills gained from the courses.
I was an SSI instructor back in the 70's and currently use PADI as it is more usefull in terms of employment and recognition.No big deal which agency , as said a million times already "its the instructor not the agency" can ring true but again it is also "you get out out of a course what you put into it". Want to know more or any questions feel free to PM me.

Thank you, going to stick with SSI.

Glad to hear it. Oly is right when he says it's the instructor, not the agency. And PADI is more recognized than SSI, though I think that's changing.

But again, glad to hear you're sticking with SSI. If there is something you would like to take from PADI, say a specialty that SSI doesn't offer in your area, feel free to do so. SSI will recognize it. Even professional ratings from PADI are accepted by SSI with a little crossover program.

Glad to be of help.

Back
Top Bottom