St Andrews jetty... ACCESS DENIED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes we are a small group relative to the system, but it wasn't just divers that were caught by this gaff. I really felt sorry for the little kids that were there with floats.
The following is the repsonse from the park director:
I did several releases to inform as many of our visitors as I could. I sent out a press release about the dredging on the park, which went out to all the local newspapers, radio, and local television stations. Unless you specifically went on the internet to our local news outlets, I am sure that it was not probably released in the Atlanta area. In addition to that, St. Andrews State Park has a website on the floridastateparks.org. At this homepage, click on the drop down window where it says, “select a park” and scroll down to St. Andrews. Once on the St. Andrews page, click on the section that says “About the Park” and there is a section with heading A Note from the Manager. On this page, I post, under “A Note from the Manager”, general and specific information about the park and point out specific information and dates that may affect our visitors and their plans to visit and recreate in the park. I do have the dredging information on the message and I posted on bold letters a special note when the kiddie pool area was closed due to the dredging at that location. I removed it yesterday since we re-opened the area but dredging is still ongoing and we will close those areas as necessary for public safety. I posted signs stating that the kiddie pool and jetty area were closed due to the dredging project at the ranger station, kiosks, and the stores in the jetty and campground. In addition to this, the person at the ranger station should have informed you of this when you were at the ranger station paying for your entrance fee for the day. If not, then we dropped the ball on this and I am sincere in my apology to you for not communicating this to you and all our visitors when entering the park.
It's over and done, so now we know to check before going!

Maybe their director should follow the example of some of their other parks. Those type notices are on the main page not buried somewhere within the sight.

BTW anyone have an updated status?

We go to Niceville on the 28th. Thinking about heading over on the 1st or 2nd to St Aandrews if they get done.

Is there such a thing as a virtual sight orientation?

I have been assured the Kiddie pool is open and will remain so from here on out. However the dredging project is schedule to continue until early June and vis will be iffy for the duration of the project.

Thanks for the update, please keep us all updated as the site reopens and the dredging continues.

does that mean i can't snorkel/dive there?

It would be my first time there... any pointers on where exactly I should be going?

does that mean i can't snorkel/dive there?

I'd call the "Jetty Dive Shop" (a small limited dive shop at St Andrews) before you go and see if the "kiddie pool" or diving along the jetties or the beach on the west side of the channel is closed. Most likely it's not, but might be.

It would be my first time there... any pointers on where exactly I should be going?

Here's a couple of helpful maps. You'll be diving the "west jetty". Best time is tight before/during/after high slack tide

St-Andrews-State-Park-Map.jpg

Depths on this are in my opinion a little deeper than indicated.

St-Andres-Jetty-Map.gif

hey this is great picture!

I'm going with bunch of snorklers so I would stay on the shallow end...

Along the west Jettie, if i stay towards the state park, I should be safe? no need for a dive flag?

Thankss :)

hey this is great picture!

I'm going with bunch of snorklers so I would stay on the shallow end...

Along the west Jettie, if i stay towards the state park, I should be safe? no need for a dive flag?

Thankss :)

If you'll look at the above map with the words "kiddie pool" on it, that's where most snorkelers go. You can stand up in most of it. Some spots you can't (based on about 2-3 years ago. Not sure what's changed in past couple years). It's called the kiddie pool, but it's actually deep enough to keep about everyone happy.

What is called the "Kiddie pool" is inside the rocks/jetties. You're safe there. you won't need a dive flag there. If you get outside the rocks on the channel side, It's advised that you use a dive flag for safety and to avoid law enforcement harassment/fine.

Shot from the beach of the "kiddie pool" with the west jetty in the background. (south end of kiddie pool)

st_andrews-jetties.jpg

North end of kiddie pool and west jetty

109280783EfyLgP_fs.jpg

This is a view from the channel of the West Jetty. Taken at about high tide. You can barely see the rocks of the jetty. On the other side is the "kiddie pool" then the beach and behind that the beach pavillions and parking (not seen)

DSC_1550.jpg

Shot of west jetty that extends out into the Gulf

st-andrews1164-DS.jpg

another shot of same area

st-andrews1139-DS.jpg

This is the sandbar that is at the far north side of the west side of the channel.

DSC_1552.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom