St Augustine Beach Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chuck41

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Will be staying in St Augustine 6/1 - 6/4 at RV campground on the beach. Is there decent beach diving in that area? Anyone like to go diving 'bout that time? (Going on to Ft Lauderdale on the 5th for a week. Hope to meet some local conch-divers)

i don't know of any shore dives around here. i think you have to drive down to
vero beach, at least, to get some shore dives. there is a pier you can dive in
Daytona, but I've heard it's not worth it.

your best bet is an off-shore dive. the local charter (Scuba Charters) is pricey ($85.00 per trip; tanks are $10.00 for air, $18.00 for nitrox) but very good. however, they have the practice of brining nitrox mixed to the boat, so you don't get a chance to test it before then. their link is http://www.scuba-charters.com/

check my site below for some Jax charters. Atlantic Pro and
Scuba Cove are the best. Atlantic Pro keep their boats closer
to the dive sites, to it's a shorter ride by about 45 minutes.

the drive to Jax is less than an hour.

hope you enjoy!!

Atlanitc Pro Dive is the closest shop to St Augistine if you drive north on A1A. Their dives are around $20 less.

yup, APD is the closest shop. but remember, they keep their boat up in Mayport, so it's a much longer drive to their boat from St. Augustine (Scuba Cove keeps theirs at the Intracostal and Beach, right at the shop).

however, Scuba Cove's boat is further away from the dive sites, so it's a longer boat ride.

both outfits are excellent. APD is the cheapest.

H2Andy:
yup, APD is the closest shop. but remember, they keep their boat up in Mayport, so it's a much longer drive to their boat from St. Augustine (Scuba Cove keeps theirs at the Intracostal and Beach, right at the shop).

however, Scuba Cove's boat is further away from the dive sites, so it's a longer boat ride.

both outfits are excellent. APD is the cheapest.

Unfortunatly, there is no "good" shore diving near here. I've done the gravel pits(wanna see stolen cars?) surf/shore dives off Vilano Beach (not recommended), under the Bridge of Lions(which is apparently illegal now, but loaded with fish.)

The outfit in St. Augustine is very close to the inlet, in fact, it's on the north east bend of the Intracoastal Waterway and the St. Augustine Inlet. From St. Augustine, there are many sites out between 9 and 40 miles out. I'm thinking they'll stick to the inside of 20 miles or so, unless it's planned ahead of time.

There is a dive shop in St. Augustine as well, which rents everything for rec diving. Cheaper than renting from the boat, but requires a little more driving. The dive shop is 6 miles or so from the dock. Depending on where you're staying, I can help you with directions if you need.

Appreciate the input. I guess I will plan to wait on the shore dives until I go down to Ft Lauderdale on Saturday. Will be there for six days.

Hey chuck41 - It just dawned on me...I think I filled your tanks today at SeaHunt Scuba. If so, it was a pleasure talking spearfishing with you. Enjoy your stay, and watch out for those "slip tips'! P.S. Don't believe what those Mississippi rednecks tell you, spadefish are almost as good as sheepshead!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom