St. Clair River Sturgeon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right under the Blue Water. Contact CDNscubamoose. He has done his share of diving with sturgeon.

Bus

My ears are burning.

Best time of the year is the first part of June - depending on the water temperature the main run can last up to the end of June. At the tail end of Lake Huron is where they spawn so if you want to see schools of them (I've seen upwards of 75 in one dive) then this is the place to guarantee success. I have also seen them in the river throughout the year but they are single and it tends to be rare.

The dive is called "The Superman", and is definitely NOT for the inexperienced. Personally, I suggest some type of redundant air source and a compass as a minimum addition to your normal gear selection. Currents can be up to 7 knots with average of a good 5 (plus they tend to "wander"). If you are thinking of photography, I would suggest doing this dive at least a couple of times to build up your confidence and experience levels. I typically do this dive on Friday evenings but depending on my schedule, I'm willing to go out on Saturdays and Sundays as well.

I do this dive from the Canadian side, as it has an easy entrance and a relatively easy exit. You will need at least 2 vehicals since the entry and exit are considerable distance.

My ears are burning.

Best time of the year is the first part of June - depending on the water temperature the main run can last up to the end of June. At the tail end of Lake Huron is where they spawn so if you want to see schools of them (I've seen upwards of 75 in one dive) then this is the place to guarantee success. I have also seen them in the river throughout the year but they are single and it tends to be rare.

The dive is called "The Superman", and is definitely NOT for the inexperienced. Personally, I suggest some type of redundant air source and a compass as a minimum addition to your normal gear selection. Currents can be up to 7 knots with average of a good 5 (plus they tend to "wander"). If you are thinking of photography, I would suggest doing this dive at least a couple of times to build up your confidence and experience levels. I typically do this dive on Friday evenings but depending on my schedule, I'm willing to go out on Saturdays and Sundays as well.

I do this dive from the Canadian side, as it has an easy entrance and a relatively easy exit. You will need at least 2 vehicals since the entry and exit are considerable distance.

Thanks for the information. Maybe we could hook up for a couple dives this June. I'll send you a PM.

Thanks again,

Andy

Andy,
Call me when you want to go... I have a guide who will take us... they took awesome video last year.

Rich

There is a Sturgeon count up in Black Lake near Cheboygan as well. They even have a spearing season! Not a good time of the year to go ice divng:wink:. You will not have Lake Freighters to deal with but the Viz may be more of a problem.

I knew a USF&S fish PHD person "Sturgeon Boy" Tracy....dam if I forgot his last name....it's right there on the tip of my tounge!%#$@ Anywho he transfered out of the Alpena office but if you call (989) 356-3052 they may be able to help you locate less challenging runs of sturgeon.

There is a Sturgeon count up in Black Lake near Cheboygan as well. They even have a spearing season! Not a good time of the year to go ice divng:wink:. You will not have Lake Freighters to deal with but the Viz may be more of a problem.

I knew a USF&S fish PHD person "Sturgeon Boy" Tracy....dam if I forgot his last name....it's right there on the tip of my tounge!%#$@ Anywho he transfered out of the Alpena office but if you call (989) 356-3052 they may be able to help you locate less challenging runs of sturgeon.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Here's a link to the goings ons up here.

Sturgeon for Tomorrow, Cheboygan County, Michigan

You want to see Sturgeon, get involved with this organization.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom