St. Croix in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silvernotch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Was thinking about heading down to St. Croix this July and was planning on diving with St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures off a friends recommendation that used to work with the dive op. I know they're mostly based out of Caravalle but I don't know how I feel about not being able to enjoy a cocktail on the beach in the evening lol. Is it worth checking out Sand Castle on the Beach?

Also, how is July? I was thinking the week that the 20th falls on since it's my fiance's birthday but I can always change that up.

Thanks!

My wife and I have been traveling to St Croix off and on for 25 years. Sand castle on the beach is a fair drive to SCUBAs dive shop. My personal opinion would be to look at any of a number of the condos on the north shore. If you want I can get you several very good units and how to reach their owners.

July can be hot and sticky just like Jersey. You may find it to be more comfortable there.

The folks at SCUBA are great to deal with, however they are not usually the most flexible as far as schedule and dive locations they are always a lot of fun. If you use them say hello to Lauren and John. SCUBA's shop is located right downtown near a great many restaurants.

I can also recommend Dive Experience and my personal favorite Cane Bay Dive Shop. Dive experience is also located downtown.

Cane Bay Dive Shop is located on the beach with an attached restaurant and bar great sunsets. Right down the street is a place with the best sunset view on the island it's called "Off the Wall" pizza and beer place sand as a floor and on the water. The shop also has several cottages across the street from the beach they are nice basic places. The shop has a choice of several types of boats and they will dive when and where you want assuming there are 2 divers. Cane Bay uses a 36 ft Newton boat as well as Patten inflatables to dive off of; the inflatables are one of the nicest setups for diving around. You may also want to check the pricing of their packages they have in the past had the best pricing. Part of the reason is that right off the beach known as Cane Bay, are some of the best dive sites on the island.

You may want to see if Mitsuguy is on as he used to be on the staff of Cane Bay and at least one of the staff of SCUBA is a member as well I just don't know what their screen name is.

If you have any questions just PM me and I'll be happy to talk to you.

Last edited:
A timely reply just not very correct:

"Sand castle on the beach is a fair drive to SCUBAs dive shop."
Actually we have a boat located right at Sand Castle on the Beach. The hotel is a great small beach hotel right on the west shore of the island. It has good snorkeling right in front of the hotel, a great Wine Spectator Award Winning restaurant, white sand beach and awesome sunset views. It's also only a half mile from the Frederiksted Pier, which is probably one of the best dives on the planet, especially at night.

"My personal opinion would be to look at any of a number of the condos on the north shore."
If you want to be a long ways (30 mins) from either town.

"July can be hot and sticky just like Jersey. You may find it to be more comfortable there."
July's weather is actually normally quite nice. In my 26 years here it has never been warmer than 90 and that was an extreme (and in September). There's always a trade wind so it's seldom humid.

"The folks at SCUBA are great to deal with, however they are not usually the most flexible as far as schedule and dive locations"
While we definitely appreciate the compliment I must point out that we're the only shop that dives every one of the moored dive sites on the island. With boats located in both Christiansted and Frederiksted we easily adapt to just about anything divers would like to do. Diver requests for specific dive sites are the first thing we consider (along with the obvious weather and sea conditions) when deciding the daily dive sites.

"the inflatables are one of the nicest setups for diving around"
LOL

"You may also want to check the pricing of their packages the have in the past had the best pricing"
Or you can check out our airfare inclusive packages. No one on the island comes close to our prices.

As an end note, the OP has already been in contact with us and we're setting up some fantastic diving for her and her fiancé. I just wanted to reply publicly here to correct some of the impressions that others might get.

Silvernotch,

I'm glad that you made your decision on your trip. Scuba is a great shop. In my experience they have the most complete dive scheduled on the island. I've met and known a number of their staff over the years and they have all been great people and a lot of fun; you should have a great time.

The pier is a great dive. I like to do it as a day dive as well as a night dive just for the different perspective on the various sea life.

We have been going to St Croix since we were married almost 25 years ago. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us. We are not that far away from you down near Ocean City.

There is a lot to do on the island, you may want to think about renting a car it does make getting around much easier.

Any of the opinions that I stated above are what has worked out best for my wife and I. If you or any one else would like to know how we came to these conclusions by all means PM me; and I'd be happy to discuss them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom