St. Croix Land & Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My husband and I are considering taking a livaboard trip to St. Croix in late October. At the end of the week we would like to spend 5, 6, or 7 days on St. Croix (depending on what we can afford.) We've never been there and would appreciate advice about where to stay.

We don't want to book a hotel & dive package because in the past one (or both!) of us have developed ear infections during a heavy dive trip. We may make arrangements to go diving when we get to the island - it all depends on our ears!

We prefer a kitchenette or apartment. We can't afford luxury but we do want a place that is clean and has air conditioning. We don't mind remote locations and would be willing to rent a car. Does anyone have any suggestions - or are we asking for the impossible?!

Does anyone have any St. Croix lodging advice for us?

I am pretty sure that there are no liveaboards operating out of St Croix. I have only been a couple of times (and not for many years) so I can't really advise on land based accommodation options either.

Sorry.

To be honest though, I am not a huge fan of St Croix. Have you considered St John?

Are you considering the Nekton special? If so, it leaves and returns out of Puerto Rico. Are they going to drop you off on St. Croix?

Thanks, we are considering the Nekton Rorqual. We would fly into Puerto Rico and go over to St. Croix on the boat for the week of diving. They said they would take us by skiff over to St. Croix on Friday before they start the return trip to PR so we can spend some time on the island and then fly home from St. Croix.

We've done that on other livaboards and it has worked out well. For instance, we took the Explorer out of St. Martin over to Saba and at the end of the week they dropped us off on the island so we could spend some time enjoying a land-based vacation. We like to have some time to visit the places we go to dive.

Any thoughts about St. Croix or the Nekton Rorqual? We've done a number of livaboards over the years. Some were more expensive and more exotic/exciting and some were cheaper and more pedestrian. We figure that this will fall into the second category, but that's okay as long as it is safe and enjoyable.

We've done 2 cruises on the Nekton Pilot (Bahamas and Belize) and we felt that they gave good value for the money. But it's been a few years and we've never lived on the Rorqual or dived St. Croix. Last year we did a more expensive livaboard and it was wonderful. This year we were looking for something less expensive but still love the idea of a livaboard vacation with a chance to spend some time ashore. Do you think the Nekton Rorqual and St. Croix will meet our expectations?

We have gone to St. Croix many times, and really like the island. We stay at Chenay Bay. They have studios and 1 bedrooms with kitchens. Nice beach and good snorkeling right on sight.
We do our diving thru Anchor Dive (a bit of a drive) but the staff is worth the trip. The diving is good,....not great, but definatly good. When our 10 year old got certified, we took him to St. Croix for his first dive trip and he was graced by a hammer head on the top of the wall on official dive #1. Great memories!!
If you decide to go, let me know and I can give you lots of recomentations on food and stuff to see. Enjoy!

We have gone to St. Croix many times, and really like the island. We stay at Chenay Bay.

That's great, we will be staying at Chenay Bay! I've sent you a private message, thanks!

We stayed at "Benedict Beach Cottages" in February, however it's in Frederiksted on
the west coast. Great tranquil water, low prices with each cottage having a kitchen.
Wonderful beach and not far from the Pier - great night dive.
Right next door is a great restaurant, with unbelievable sunset's.
Also a wonderful French restaurant in Frederiksted it's self.
I dove with Cane Bay and N2 The Blue - both outstanding dive operations.
Enjoy your vacation

I have very affordable apts. in Frederiksted, $55-$75/night depending on size. They are clean, comfortable and very secure with a great courtyard. Check out jasminemanorvi.com. No AC but ceiling fans and breezes.

We are going on our 9th trip to St. Croix next month. We stay at Chenay bay and dive with SCUBA. Molly and Ed are great.
Can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom