St Croix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funland111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been talking about going to St Croix in February with a small group of five. We have been to St John many times and love the island, but we thought this year it might be nice to explore a new island. I'm currently played golf with a guy who travels to St Croix on business and he did not paint a pretty picture of the island. I have heard just the opposite in that the island is safer then years past - where should I look to rent a condo or villa for a week? I originally was looking in the Carambola area based on the diving - any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bill

Bill,

Obviously from my name here I have a vested interest in telling you about St. Croix (always like to get that out of the way right up front). St. Croix does have a very undeserved reputation for crime, most of which, amazingly enough, dates back almost 40 years. Rather than me re-writing the history here, I'm going to paste a portion of the description of one of the main events that gave St. Croix the reputation. This is from st-croix.net

In the late summer of 1972 five black men in there early 20's robbed what was at the time the Fountain Valley Golf Club. They walked into the dining room dressed in army fatigues, robbed the cash registers, and demanded money from the club members and staff. One person who said he had no money was shot, and a shooting spree began which killed eight people and wounded 3 others. The FBI was flown in to help the local police in the investigation and in several days the 5 suspects, most with past criminal records and outstanding warrants, were caught and made confessions.

William Kunstler volunteered to defend what became known as the "Fountain Valley Five". An international media circus began that turned what started as a robbery into the typical Black Power event of the time. There were complaints by the suspects of mistreatment and police brutality. Kunstler's association with the media helped spread the word about what happened at Fountain Valley, and his association with radical events and defense of black civil rights leaders turned it into a Black-White issue. It seemed to be forgotten that these criminals had shot and killed a black electrician helper that happened to be working there. They also shot two other black employees who were running away, and were going to shoot another black employee until one of the criminals said that he knew him. And they robbed everyone they contacted, Black or White.

Now since then there was looting on the island after the complete devastation of Hurricane Hugo in 1989 and that added to the reputation.

I've lived here 26 years. I leave our business late every night and never worry about it. If you leave your cam corder on the seat of your rental car while you go snorkeling on a deserted beach you'll probably lose it. If you leave your cam corder on the seat of your rental car while you go visit the Vatican, you'll probably lose it.

There are places that are perfectly safe, and there are areas that you don't want to be in. As with every where else in the world, certainly in the U.S., you can feel the difference and you known where you should and shouldn't be.

Now to the more positive questions you posed about our island.

If you're looking for condo type facilities there are four complexes all located along Sugar Beach, which is less than 10 minutes west of Christiansted (the main town on the island). From east to west there's Club St. Croix, Sugar Beach, Colony Cove, and Mill Harbor. All of them do short and long term rentals and all have websites that are easily found through a Google search. Both Club St. Croix and Colony Cove are on Travelocity and you can get some incredible deals on airfare/hotel packages through them right now. Our Department of Tourism has some great promotions that will give you coupons good for activities, dining, and even scuba diving.

As for diving the north shore is home to what we call the "ultimate wall". The moorings (all the dive shops use moorings rather than anchoring and risking damage to the reef), along the top of the wall start in 25'-40' and drop, vertically in places, 13,200'.

We have the largest living reef of any Caribbean island.

We have the second longest barrier reef in the Caribbean.

We have a set of 5 shipwrecks that can be dived in two dives (they're within 100 yards of each other).

We have a Pier that is an awesome dive by day and absolutely fantastic at night.

You mentioned golf, there are 2.5 courses here. The Carambola course and the Buccaneer Hotel's course are both 18 holes while the Reef is a 9 hole course.

There are 6 dive shops here and no matter which one you choose you'll have a great time diving here. You can see from my signature line which one I'm partial to. Read about us, and the island in general, on Trip Advisor and come let us show you why we're the "friendliest dive shop on earth".

Bill

I live in PR and work in Law Enforcement and travel and work in St Croix a lot. I have no vested interest due to a business relationship. When I am in St Croix I do not feel any less secure than I do in any Big city in the US. Yes they do have crime but if you are on vacation and do not go to places at night that you might feel uncomfortable you will probably not have a problem. I dive there a lot and it is worth the trip. Shoot I feel safer there than a lot of other places I have to go for work.

Every one should always be aware of their environment and do not get into the tourist mode of putting on the rose colored glasses and ignore what is going on around you. Crooks usually will go after the easiest target so just stay aware and you will usually come out just fine. If you come down to dive you will be busy and probably not have time to get into the bad areas of the island.

Good luck there and I know you will have great dives.

Thank you for replying to my question. I am going to push forward with our plans to visit St Croix. I was under the impression the island is safe as long as you use common sense. I was just taken back by the picture this fellow was painting, although me may have had a bad experience at some point - enough of that I'm looking forward to getting back in the water!! My plan is to dive everyday - thanks Bill

Welcome to STX! I moved here in June after 30 years in South Florida and I too heard all of the "big bad crime" warnings. I feel MUCH safer here than I did in South Florida. It's easy to avoid becoming a victim: I don't go into the 'hood, I don't leave valuables in my car, and JUST LIKE EVERYWHERE ELSE I'm aware of my surroundings and my purse. Just these three actions make me much safer than in, for instance, Europe where I spent the last two weeks hyper-aware of opportunistic criminals who really were lurking everywhere.

My partner has been diving here for 35 years (and was formerly in the diving industry) and his favorite place to dive is still Cane Bay,which we dive frequently. In my year of diving here it's become my favorite as well. Cane Bay Dive Shop is right there. Disclaimer: I am a Cane Bay employee (at one of their other stores, though) but I was a customer for nearly a year before becoming employed with them. They can help you select accomodations too, or you may look at some of the options Capt. Ed posted. Friends who recently visited from South Florida dove with Cane Bay while on vacation last week and had nothing but praise for the diving and the operation. As Ed says, all of the dive ops are good here.

So, come on down and remember to drive on the left!

Last edited:
:rofl3: hee hee, it took me about ten minutes to get used to it!

Hi Bill,

I'm and avid golfer and diver and have been to St. Croix once and have been trying to get back ever since.
While there we stayed at Carambola. Nice place, big beach but there's only a small area of the beach where you can actually swim.
The have a nice pool, an adequate workout area and the food is OK.

They do have deals with the Carambola golf course if you'd like to golf while you are on the island. We didn't play but did drive around the course. It's not really long, it has small and what appear to be very slow greens but it looks like a nice park like layout. The other golf choice on the island is at the Buccaneer. It appears to be in better shape but is very hilly and open. If we were planning on golfing during a visit I would probably choose Carambola.

For diving, make sure that you don't miss that Cane Bay Wall. This can be done with any of the shops or as a shore dive but it is definitely the best dive site on the island. If we do return I'd also love to do the pier at night but honestly that area just doesn't feel safe to me. I'm sure you'd be fine with the local dive op but as my wife doesn't dive I would not feel comfortable with her sitting around waiting for me to complete a night dive there.

We dove with Anchor Dive. I don't know why but they get kind of a bad rap here on SB. I was pleased with them and would not hesitate to use them again.

If you do happen to choose Anchor as your dive op (which is about a 15 minute drive from Carambola) there is a condo development right next door called Gentle Winds. We planned on staying there on a return visit we had planned. Unfortunately that return visit fell through.

Also, highly recommend Rum Runners in Christiansted for a nice meal.

Hope this info helps. And feel free to write with any questions.

Cane Bay wall sure is awesome...my partner has lived and dived here almost 35 years, he used to live right there running a dive shop back in the day, and it's still his favorite and frequent dive. While any operator could conceivably take you there, Cane Bay Dive Shop is right there so they are your logical choice. They offer guided boat dives and beach dives, or you could just swim out on your own. If you do that, I'd recommend you take at least one guided beach dive so as to maximize your knowledge of the area. There's a lot to see and photograph.

So far as a night dive at Fredericksted Pier, I definitely recommend you do through a shop as I know of many who have had problems with the local hoodies when they park there on their own. I've done the dive at night and it is indeed spectacular, and camera-worthy. Just be smart and safe and don't leave ANYTHING in your car, and leave the car unlocked with the windows rolled down a bit. I know many people whose cars have been broken into in that area. If you leave nothing, you won't lose it and if you leave the car unlocked, they probably won't break a window.

Please don't freak out too much about reports of crime. After spending 30 years in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area, I feel MUCH safer here but I'm smart. I don't go into the 'hood, and I'm not out wandering the streets in the wee hours of the morning. Just don't leave a thing in the car, and leave it unlocked. Be smart, just like you would in ANY OTHER CITY and you will be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom