St Helena Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm really not sure which travel forum this island would sit, basically it is 1,000 miles off the coast of Africa!

Here's my review if anyone is thinking of going to this new destination

An excellent dive centre run by Anthony (Sub-Tropic Adventures), very knowledgeable on the fish life below and wildlife above - nothing is too much trouble. Totally professional, I did take my own kit but used their BCD which was in great condition, the rest of the gear used by others was in good condition too.
I’d recommend a 6.5mm suit or similar, I used a 5mm with 0.5mm rash vest under and a light 1mm hood (was comfortable on dives with this but slightly chilly by the end of dive 2)
There was some gentle current at times but the beauty of having sites all round the island means there is always somewhere to dive when it is windy, lumpy or currents or stronger as you simply go to the other side/end.
All the Dives were well guided and as you would expect from such a remote destination very small groups and no other divers at the sites.
The whole island is dive-able so there are certainly more sites than time available.

There are 2 Dive centres but all the time I was here the other seemed to be focused on running the Whale shark snorkelling trips and for that reason alone I would use Sub- Tropic, intimate knowledge of sites comes through being in water regularly.
Well used by the local residents and it was nice to chat to them on the rib.

The diving here is Sub Tropic so whilst you won’t get the density of life you see at the equator I thought the amount of fish here was the best I have seen anywhere outside the equatorial zone, it kind of reminded of the diving in the Azores but was definitely fishier!
Of course at the right time of year (Jan - Mar) the real stand out is the Whale Sharks (7-8 metres right up to 14metres) , you have to be lucky for them to pass by while diving but they are regularly seen on the snorkelling trips at the surface.*(so do a few of these)
So many shoals of fish and they seem more inquisitive than elsewhere in the world, probably due to the lack of divers.
Huge shoals of Butterfly Fish, Sergeant Fish that come right up to you as well as large Jacks, Cowfish, Triggerfish, Moray Eels, Octopus & Lobsters (the most I have seen anywhere) endemic Flame Back Angel Fish, Devil Rays, Wrecks, the odd Turtle and if you are extremely lucky Seahorse and Frog Fish

Make sure you do a Dolphin trip too

Bring some tasty biscuits for the dive boat to go with your cuppa between dives, cheaper than buying them here

Booking
Either book through an agent or do as I did and sort it yourself as it is very easy. Once I had booked the flights Anthony at Sub Tropic sorted my accommodation, pick up and diving (and all my other trips while I was out there)
I stayed at the Townhouse B&B - excellent and see my review on Tripadvisor for more detail

As to trips I found it far better to book direct with the operator rather than go through the tourist office, one less party to mix things up

If you book ahead with SA Link you can get an extra 15kg of sports luggage allowance - persist as when I phoned them they told me to sort at check which is definitely wrong

Attachments

• St Helena & SA2862019.jpg
    St Helena & SA2862019.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 65
  • St Helena & SA112019-2.jpg
    St Helena & SA112019-2.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 52
  • St Helena & SA162019-2.jpg
    St Helena & SA162019-2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 57
  • St Helena & SA932019-2.jpg
    St Helena & SA932019-2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 64
  • St Helena & SA1222019.jpg
    St Helena & SA1222019.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 65
  • St Helena & SA3392019.jpg
    St Helena & SA3392019.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 56
  • St Helena & SA1922019-2.jpg
    St Helena & SA1922019-2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 66
  • St Helena & SA3052019.jpg
    St Helena & SA3052019.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 59
  • St Helena & SA2542019-2.jpg
    St Helena & SA2542019-2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 70
  • St Helena & SA2492019.jpg
    St Helena & SA2492019.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 59
Great information. We are planning to go now . Do you have the contact information for diving and stay please

Thank you for your report. I'd recently mentioned to a dving friend that it'd been about 6 years since we'd seen a whaleshark, and like magic, your report appeared.

Can you please share cost info for lodging (how much a night and does it include meals), for a day of 2-tank diving, and for whaleshark snorkel trips?

Thanks.

It was 2018 so will I am sure have gone up, back then it was about £1,200 which was 7 days B&B plus 10 dives and 2 snorkel trips.
From memory flights from Jo.burgh were £7-800 return.

There are some wonderful walks and history to see on the island too from especially from the time Napoleon was imprisoned there

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom