St John USV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I Just got back from a Cruise that stopped in St Thomas and we dove with Chris Sawyer Dive Center in Red Hook. It was great they could not have been more helpful and pleaseant. My wife has not dove in about two years and she was very nervous. They made her feel right at home. It would be worth the ferry trip over.

There is some shore diving on St. John, but due to the island's topography, many of the best spots are reachable only by boat. It is not like Bonaire or some of the other Caribbean islands where there is amazing shore diving. Usually, the problem is accessibility via land since there are LOTS of steep hills and some of the roads aren't in such great shape. The question becomes how far are you willing to haul a tank. That being said, Hollover Bay offers a nice mini-wall for diving (about 70 feet) and is a good shore dive. Lamshur Bay can be dove, but as I think was already said, it can just as easily be snorkeled. Several operations on island will rent gear and tanks if you want to explore on your own (Low Key or Cruz Bay Watersports) and are fairly reasonable. In all honesty, I recommend going out with one of the operators or renting a dinghy and doing some sites if you are determined to do your own thing. There are maps of dive sites available for sale and you might just want to check one of those out or ask the locals--they usually know the good spots for that time of year.

Just got back from St. John yesterday and thought I would mention a great dive op that is fairly new called Down Under Watersports. The owners Bill and Cindy are absolutely fantastic. They have a Maine lobster boat converted to a dive boat. It has the smoothest ride. They do not have a home base yet and will dinghy you out to their boat, but it's no problem because you park right at the dock and they pretty much take care of everything from there. They only take out a max of 6 DIVERS, this was important because we went out with Low Key and had snorklers, a certification and rescue class, and divers all on the same boat (can you say chaos?). Bill has been diving on St. John since he was 12 and knows the great spots. We had two awesome dives with them and saw tarpon, spotted moray, turtle, spotted drum, queen triggers, puffers, lobsters, etc. etc. We went to sites the other operators do not go to. We dove with Low Key, Cruz Bay (Rhone), and Down Under and preferred Down Under. The cons of this dive op are a smallish boat (approx. 31ft.) and no home base. Also, this boat doesn't have a great set up for photography (no table). But we enjoyed the personalized service and small groups. They also let you dive your computer and do not rush through a dive. After you are back beneath the boat you are free to explore around at your leisure until you are at 500psi. Every dive I did with other ops I came up with 1200 to 1500 psi. If you have any questions about this or St. John in general feel free to pm me.

So I also I just came back from St John yesterday and I dived with Low Key and 6-paq. DJG has mentioned some good points, I too came up with roughly 1100-1200 on most dives sinve they limit your time underwater to about 45-50 mins max and most dives aren't deep. The only longer dive was the Night Dive around 50 mins max depth of 65ft (which was a pretty cool dive, but it was my first night dive so I enjoyed it even more I guess). Low Key took us to Congo Cay (night dive), Grass Cay and Stevens Cay, which are all in Pillsbury sound. Their boat is nice and their divemasters are nice. I also dove with 6-paq. Since I was the first to book that day I got to pick where to go so I asked for Eagle Shoal and they took us there. This was a longer 6 hour trip and we did two dives (Eagle Shoal and Booby Rock). Eagle Shaol is a cool dive with nice swimthroughs and underwater cavern formations, etc.. Also saw the most vaired types of fish on that side of the islands, (Queen Triggerfish, Black Durgon, Really really big puffer, big queen angelfish, flamingo tongues, brittle stars among all the other common caribbean fish. Spotted Lobsters on many sites, and saw the hugest lobster ive ever seen at Grass Cay. Also saw a big Channel Crab on the night dive along with a big tarpon feeding on fish and parrotfishs sleeping and birttle star moving away from my dive light, etc. I also snorkellled many sights around the islands, I thought there were plenty of fish in the snorkelling sites but the reefs were only in ok-decent condition in most snorkelling sites. Although the snorkelling around Waterlemon Cay was cool, I saw at-least 7-8 rays there including an eagle ray, a huge Green Turtle and my girflriend saw a Nurse Shark (which was the only shark the whole trip). Also swam with a hawksbill turtle late in the afternoon on the other side of Trunk Cay (not the trail side) on the sand. 6-paq's captain Larry was a very nice guy as was Brad the divemaster. The boat is smaller but there is enough space for 6 (they dont take more)to sit comfortably but not much shade, wasnt a problem for me since it was a partly cloudy day and the sun was always baking me and the wind keeps you cool when your on your way to the sites since the boat is more like a little speed-catamaran thats pretty fast. To get to the site we did a whole circle around the island which I enjoyed very muchg as it was like an island tour plus diving. They even let us snorkel at the end of the 2nd dive at Salt Pond Bay for a half hour too so all in all I enjoyed diving with 6-paq a lot. I also recommend Low Key if you want to do some quick dives in the morning around the Pillsbury sound area just know what to expect, With Low Key, We left around 8-8.30am and came back around 11am on the short trips so you have plenty of time for other things on the island which isnt a bad thing since there are many beaches on the island. If you want more freedom and dont mind paying a little extra then 6-paq is also recommended. I dont know about Down Under diving but from what DJG has written, they seem similar to 6-paq and she recommends them also so I guess its worth checking both ops out if you wanna have a more personal dive experience. Overall, I was happy with both Op's for what they are I think its good to get a few short quick trips in along with some longer trips to sites less travelled to. So now hopefully there is some more info on diving around St John, now that this thread has gotten some good replies and more current information. As for shore diving, I didnt see anyone doing it but I did see some people load dive gear on to kayaks on Hakswnest beach to head out diving closeby. Also, lastly I forgot to mention, 6-paq does not have an actual base either, they pick you up with their boat from the Dock area in Cruz Bay too.

starlan- glad you had a good trip! We had a great trip also. We might have been on the boat the same day with Low Key (Wednesday). Just wanted to add one more thing about diving in St. John. While the first site I dove with Low Key basically stunk, all of the rest of the diving was great. I had set my expectations low after reading other trip reports, but I really had some great dives to include Carval Rock, Congo Cay, and Whistling Cay. Also, the Rhone trip with Cruz Bay Watersports was GREAT! My first wreck dive (not including a cessna in Jamaica--lame), and it was awesome. I do not have a lot of experience, but just to compare I have been to Turks and Caicos, Cozumel (several times), Riviera Maya, Florida, Jamaica, Flower Gardens and I think the diving in St. John and the Rhone is definitely worth checking out. It's getting a lot of bad press due to coral bleaching but Down Under took us to sites that were not very affected by this. If someone is planning a trip down there don't let these reports scare you like they did me.

DJG - I dove with Low Key on Monday and did the night dive with them on Wendesday night at Congo Cay.I didnt care too much about Grass Cay, which was the first site they took us out to (except for the huuuge lobster). Then I did Eagle Shoal and Booby Rock on friday with 6-paq. I agree that the diving was pretty good especially considering the bad rap the USVI is getting for coral bleaching, etc.. I did see some, but I also saw a significant amount in the Turks and Caicos as well, which is noted for being some of the best diving in the Caribbean. Eagle Shoal was a great site close to Salt Pond bay and it was on that side of the island I encountered the more rare fish. Although I did see a juvenile puffer and a drum fish on the Night Dive in Congo Cay along with the huge crab channel and several lobsters. I also enjoyed seing a different side of the reef at night with the expansion of the polyps and the awesome colors of the orange coral under the huge rock formations in Congo Cay. The tarpon feeding on the little silversides was awesome too and I got it on video, hes basically in a spotlight from all the lights just cruising in a cloud of them and gulping one down occasionaly. Ive also done Riviera Maya, Palm Beach and the Keys and T&C now on top of St John diving. I hear the Rhone trip is excellent too, im glad you had a good time too.

I will post a couple pics sometime soon hopefully, I thought the diving was pretty similar to the Keys but also more varied since there were more swimthroughs, caverns, and cool rock formations too.

Starlan---how was your night dive with Low Key? Were they more flexible with your bottom time or did you feel rushed? You mentioned that they were good for "quick" dives, I am just trying to figure out whether to use them or another operator for a night dive. I am looking for a guide with good critter eyes and who a good leader--my friends who are coming down arerather inexperienced divers and I don't believe have ever done a night dive. At the same time, I have done lots of night dives and don't want to be too rushed. Any info would be appreciated. Thx.

redlipblenny- Im not sure if that what would be the best option for you really. You may want more freedom than they are willing to give (you cant dive your own profile and you have to go with the divemaster). I dont know if they would treat you any differently even if you have been diving for decades. You can always call them and ask them about the dive and see if they might let you and a buddy maybe do your own thing for a while. I still think they will ask you to surface within an hour of descending though. They probably will be a good choice if the other divers are not too experienced and haven't done a night dive and if you are willing to compromise a little. We were down for roughly 50 mins at a max depth of 65 ft, at the end of the 50 mins they give you about another 5 mins until they want you to surface and then I weaited till last so all the beginners and others surface and you can come up last (which is what I did on all dives) but thats it really. I know 6-paq do a night dive but I beleive its a shore dive and im not sure how good the reef is that they take you to. I dont know about Cruz Bay Watersports or the other operator Down Under that DJG has mentioned. You should check all of their websites out too. Basically shortly, if I went to St John, I would do another night dive with them but I would also look into Down Under maybe as I dont know anything about them. Of course, if Low Key takes you to a site that is only 30-40ft in depth and still only give you 45-50 mins and you want to and know you can dive for much longer, then maybe I would think twice. At 65ft I thought it was a good dive and wasnt rushed but at 30 ft I would want to stay down more too, since it's only a one tank dive. You best bet is to probably just call all these operators and see what they may let you do.

Starlan: I'll be in St John's @ the Westin next month for honeymoon. What can you tell me about your experince there?

The island is really beautiful. Its 2/3rd national park so theres very little development and thus its a good island for just relaxing. There are good restaurants too. Not much else to do at night if you want entertainment, except for a few bars in Coral Bay and Cruz Bay. Good place to get away from everything, not like St Thomas. Cant even find a New York Times or USA Today even if you wanted to on St John, I guess they would have it at the Westin and Caneel though but thats it. There are many great beaches to choose from. Didnt go to the Westin, as we stayed in a villa we rented for a week. There are many beautiful villas to rent on the island. The hotels, Westin and Caneel Bay also are very nice, though I must say if I had to choose I would stay at Caneel, but you cant go wrong with either. We didnt want the hotel experience and stayed in a villa on the Coral Bay side that was perched high above the hills with really awesome views. The snorkelling is good for seing fish and other animals, the reefs are ok. The diving was pretty good also, not up to other Caribbean destinations I am sure but still worth doing if you are there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom