St Louis Dive Schools?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wozzer

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I'm totally new to scuba, but I'm planning on taking some lessons so I can then plan a trip out in new zealand or austrialia for early 2007. I'm in St Louis and I've found a number of schools:

West End Diving (http://www.westenddiving.com/openwater.htm)
Midwest Scuba (http://www.midwestscuba.net/openwater.asp#cost)
Great American Diving Co (TGADC) (http://www.tgadc.com/openwater.aspx)
Y-kiki Divers (http://www.y-kiki.com/classes_ow.php#cost)

It seems the prices vary greatly, above they are roughly ordered in cost. Which one should I pick? I'm a student on a budget, but I'm willing to pay for better instruction if it means I'll be safer & have more fun later.

As a beginner, I just want to get a PADI "open water" cert, right?

Personally, I'd go with TGADC, I know a few of the instructors and I like how they teach. They also have several locations so you can use whichever shop is convenient to you.

Yes, "open water" is what you are after at this point.

Thanks, I'm looking for instructors who are going to make sure I really know what I'm doing and don't mind calling me out on mistakes. Does that sound like TGADC?

I would agree with Quarrior, I have not taken any classes from any of them yet, but out of those I would go with TGADC. I like Y-kiki but I think that their class prices are a little out of line. West End has a nice shop but I think that the way they do their classes is a little strange, because it seems that they bundle a bunch of stuff together that you may not want and you pay for all that plus for diving Bonne Terre Mine. Like I said I have not used any of them but I had been talking to TGADC about the advanced course, but their schedule did not work with mine, then Y-kiki had one that I could do and I got them to match the Price from TGADC. I have also seen the Midwest Scuba is having a pretty good deal right now if you buy your mask, fins, and snorkel from them. Most places will take some money off if you buy all that from them, but someone was telling me that Midwest is taking a little more off than normal right now.

I am actually doing the advanced course in Aug with an independent instructor because the 3 other people that I am taking the class with are all in Washington and Union Mo. I do not that he does some classes in St Louis as well... This will be my fist experience with him, but one of my dive buddies got his and his wifes PADI Open Water from this guy and they really like him.

If you are interested at all in the independent guy PM me and I will try to get you some info...

Have a great one....

Phil

Hmm I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "bundle", since from their website West End only seem to include the same stuff as everyone else? For price, it seems like all these places are charging $325-365 right now, but apparently there's a $50 rebate from PADI available - that's the one Midwest is quoting on their site for the greater discount, but TGADC also lists it on theirs...

What it comes down to is the best instructors though, so I'll go with whoever gets the best recommendations.

Visit the facilities, there isn't enough difference in pricing to make your selection based on price. The most expensive course in town will probably cost a lot less than the gear you will eventually buy or the dive vacations you will take.

Steve50:
Visit the facilities, there isn't enough difference in pricing to make your selection based on price. The most expensive course in town will probably cost a lot less than the gear you will eventually buy or the dive vacations you will take.

I agree completely, price isn't going to be factored in - I will likely visit the various places but even that doesn't necessarily tell me how the instructors will be, so I was hoping for rec's on that side of things. Thanks.

Sorry What I was looking at on West End's website is for their advanced course.

I was just looking at Mid West Scuba and they have the $50.00 from Padi plus $100.00 if you buy your mask, fins, and snorkel from them dropping the price to $175.00. I would guess that all the shops have the $50.00 off from Padi but I do not know that for a fact and I would guess that most will take money off if you buy your gear from them.

Like Steve said you cannot go on price alone. Go with who you can get comfortable with.

Wozzer:
Thanks, I'm looking for instructors who are going to make sure I really know what I'm doing and don't mind calling me out on mistakes. Does that sound like TGADC?
Yes, especially if you use the Kirkwood location which is where the instructors I know are located.

Whereas I have personally seen one of the other shops pass someone that had no business in the water.

Back
Top Bottom