St. Maarten--Divi Little Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KBeck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have had a last minute invitation to join some family in St. Maarten next week. While it's a definite can't say no vacation (I'm only paying for the flight over), it leaves very little time to make arrangements. I'm hoping anyone familiar with the island can give me input.

We are staying at Divi Little Bay. According to their website, they have just opened a water recreation center on site, but the link has very limited information.

So, my questions would be:

--If anyone is familiar with the facility, is it open and functional at this point? Please tell me whatever you are familiar with--costs; what kind of dives, rental gear available (I plan to bring my own, but you never know what you might need). OR
--I understand the resort is on the Dutch side of the island. If I need to go to an op off property, what might be the closest option (I may not have access to a car during the week)?

I have seen the recent thread regarding dive ops in St. Maarten and am definitely researching them. I have also left messages with Divi and assume it will be Monday before I hear back. Since this is so last minute, I'm hoping to be as prepared as possible before I get there!

Thanks to anyone who can give any insight.

Never stayed at Divi, but you're practically in town.

Dive Safaris is in town at Bobby's Marina. I wouldn't suggest using them in town though. Most cruiseships use Dive Safaris, so the boats will most likely be packed.

We don't spend that much time in town, but the liqour and jewelry are probably your best bets for shopping.

Antoine's is a nice restuarant in town which is right on the water.

Good luck!
-Christine

KBeck:
I have had a last minute invitation...
We are staying at Divi Little Bay. According to their website, they have just opened a water recreation center on site, but the link has very limited information.

So, my questions would be:

--If anyone is familiar with the facility, is it open and functional at this point? Please tell me whatever you are familiar with--costs; what kind of dives, rental gear available (I plan to bring my own, but you never know what you might need).

I stayed at the Divi Little Bay a few years ago.

Back then, they "claimed" that their watersports program included diving, but that wasn't true: what they actually had was an agreement with IIRC "Scuba Fun", which was a long, long, long drive away on the French side (not too far from Grand Case!). After one day of carpooling, I booked directly and drove myself over.

If they actually have an on-site watersports program that honestly, truely includes diving, then they should be able to provide the name of their diveboat and a photograph of it in an instant...so ask them for it! (Disclosure: I'm a Divi Timeshare owner on Cayman Brac).

I understand the resort is on the Dutch side of the island. If I need to go to an op off property, what might be the closest option (I may not have access to a car during the week)?

Get a rental car. Period. I'd say that its probably at least a 25 minute walk into town, assuming you're not lugging gear.

Thanks to anyone who can give any insight.

IMO, the diving on St Maarten is just "okay" if all you want is to get wet. I think I carried my UW camera for two days before I stopped bothering. There was one site that I really enjoyed...IIRC, it was called "Spanish Rocks" and was kind of like a slot canyon that we dove down through - - lots of lobsters in the crevices that were fun to noodle around watching them, etc. Some people do enjoy diving on the artificial wrecks that they've sunk there. Overall, the reason that I'd consider going back to St.M is for the food. FWIW, there was a great little hole-in-the-wall type of place on the french side...um, east side of the island (Orient Beach side), halfway up a pretty nasty "Z" climbing up a hill. Food was as good as in Grand Case, but 1/3rd the price. The chef cooked for Miterand and Bush Sr. and can probably be found in the typical "here's what our island has to offer" books in the hotels, etc. Probably the most fun part were our 8yr & 12yr old "waiters", who were two of his sons...make sure to ask them for a recommendation for dessert :) :)

-hh

I agree with the above poster. ST.Maarten is not a dive destination. It probably never will be, but this is probably my 9th year in a row going back. St.Maarten is like a second home to me.

You really do need a rental car. You'll get so much more out of the island! You should really try and go to Pinel island. It's an uninhabited island off the french side. I think the ferry costs 5 dollars per person (it might be per way...can't remember0, but it's well worth it. Pinel is supposed to be good for snorkeling, but it offers a different approach to a sxm beach. The water is shallow, and clear.

Friar's Bay (on the French Side) is also one of my favorites. Grand Case Beach club is nice! Can't miss lunch at the lolos!

Thanks very very much for your input guys!! I learned quickly from research it's not a dive destination in and of itself, but I never pass up an opportunity to dive when I'm on vacation! (Especially a free one!)

After several calls to Divi, I quickly gathered they have no idea about their own property, so I booked a couple dives with Ocean Explorers in Simpson Bay. As a small 8 person max boat, I'm hoping they'll cater to a different type crowd than the cruise ship types. :)

My family will have a rental car; I may rent one on a day-to-day basis on those days I'm going a different direction or cab it around; Divi says they have a car rental op on property---I guess I'll find out! I definitely wasn't intending to walk anywhere; I know it's a little out of the way.

I'll definitely print out your restaurant recommendations; I hope to convince everyone over to the French side of town at least once!

Thanks again guys!

I'm goning to give you the names of some of our Favorite restaurants:

Spiga - Great italian restuarant a little outside of Grand Case. Pasta was fantastic.

Laguna- (Airport Rd..dutch side) - Italian restuarant owned by two men from sicily. Great Italian food...faces the lagoon.

Montremarte - French Restuarant (Dutch Side) Very pretty restuarant with a lot of traditional french food.

Antoines'- French/Italian restuarant located in Phillsburgh. Great view.

L'aburge Gourmade- (Grand Case) - French restuarant...the owner also owns MontreMarte and the Sunset Cafe (at the grand case beach club)

Le Fish Pot - French/Seafood restaurant in Grande Case.

You can never go hungry on St.Maarten! One restaurant is better than the next.

For Breakfast, I would suggest Richard's Crepe Cafe. Located in the simpson bay- area. Excellent family owned creperie! They have omlettes and other breakfast foods as well. I think they might be opened For Lunch and Dinner on-season.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Let me know how everything goes!
-Christine

To continue that list:

Peg Leg Pub (Simpson Bay) BEST filet that you will ever eat...ever!!!

The Boat House (Simpson Bay) Excellent sea food. Try the Calamari to start and the sampler to finish....yummy

Lee's Roadside (Simpson Bay) Great ribs, chicken and atmosphere.

Bamboo Bernies (Canaversi* Resort) Excellent ribs and on Wed's ladies drink free!

Just go up the hill (Cole Bay) and down the other side and you will be in Simpson Bay area. The places listed have great food and are reasonably priced. Plus, when you are done, all the best bars are near to relax over an adult beverage. My picks are Buccaneer* Bar (Billy Foaly Rd, turn in by the Burger King on wheels!) the Lady C (near the SB bridge) and the Sun set Beach Bar (end of the runway at the airport).

We just returned last week and everything was great! Have never seen the ocean so calm in the years I have been going. It was so nice that we were about to dive the far places like One Step Beyond and Groupers near St. Barts. Best St. Maarten dives in my opinion.

I'll get that trip report as soon as I can upload the pictures....I still seem to be on island time....

I'm so jealous! I've always wanted to do one step and beyond! When I was there last, (August) there was a tropical storm off martinque. The seas were ROUGH. Going to st.Barts on the "vomit commet" if you will was pretty bad. It was a fun boat ride though, a real adventure ( I guess I think that because I'm a teenager..) I really love ST.Maarten. It's like my second home.

Have you ever done any diving in ST.Barts? It's pretty similar to st.maarten.

No, we have never been over to St. Barts and as I said, this was the first time that the sea was calm enough to go to OSB and Groupers (the rocks just off the coast of St. Barts). As you mentioned, the waters there can be very rough and twice before, the boat made it about half way and decided to turn back. I was so good this time, we got to do OSB twice, Monday and Thursday. The vis was down a bit for some reason but we still got to catch a glimpse of a couple of reef sharks, one of which was a tad hungry and reeking havic on the schools of yellow snappers.

I'm so jealous. OSB is like the rockstar of all sxm dive sites. I liked the Spanish Canyons site. It's on the French side, basically it's like underwater canyons. Pretty cool stuff.

St.Maarten is a great little island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom