ST SMB Pictures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubastud16

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So does anyone have pictures of the ST SMB (the 40 dollar version)? I'm hoping to pick one up, and I'd like to see it with a bit of reference. Is it open on the bottom?

Thanks!

Danny

Danny,

I don't know about the SMB you mentioned (ST?), but I have one that I purchased from Look4Quality.com (also has an eBay store with auctions) that I really like. 6 ft tall, open bottom w/ flapper valve for regulator purge inflation, over-pressure valve, manual inflate valve, and valve for LP hose inflate. Rated at about 40 lbs lift w/ SS d-ring. Also has a mesh pocket at bottom to put weight in to keep it upright in water when at surface. Comes in yellow or orange. I've been using it 2 years and am very happy with it. A DM in Cozumel bought mine from me because he was so impressed with its functionality. Worth checking out. I believe the 'buy now" price is about $46, but you may be able to get it cheaper via auction.

Wow. "ST" refers to Scuba Toys. I'll have to check that bad boy out. Have you ever shot it from depth?

Thanks!

Danny

As a matter of fact, I have shot it from depth, about 60 feet. I carry a 120 ft reel with me when we drift dive in Cozumel just for that purpose. It worked well using an octo to fill from the flapper valve, and the over-pressure valve did its job ok. After watching me shoot it to the surface in Cozumel, the DM asked to buy it from me when we got on the boat. I sold it to him when we came back stateside, and ordered another one to replace it. We also wreck dive, so knowing that I can make my own ascent line if we don't make it back to the fixed line in time gives me better peace of mind. I'm always thinking safety no matter where or what I dive, and having this smb on me is a big safety "plus". I also like that its big for better visability in swells, and doubles as a horse collar on the surface should you need extra flotation. I'm surprised that the features this one has hasn't become standard for all the others out there.

Weaponeer,

Great suggestion. Where did you get your reel and do you have a picture of the set up. I have a very cheap basic SMB and looking to upgrade. There are some good choices in my present location but know there must be a lot of other choices elsewhere. What other types of SMB/real combos are people using?

Thanks,

AZ

I've never used the Scuba Toys product but here's another option for you. This is the product I use from Zeagle.

This is their SMB -- yellow on one side and orange on the other. Can be inflated manually or with your 2nd stage. Has overexpansion relief valve.
Deluxe_Signal_Tube_Small.jpg

It also comes attached to a finger spool and in its own pouch that can be attached to your BC.
SS-Signal-Tube-Kit.jpg

PM Sent.

Cheers.

-J.-

Debersole,

Do you have recommendation RE: buying it online. I am also thinking of ordering in some for a club I run. This looks perfect.

Thanks,

AZ

Weaponeer,

Great suggestion. Where did you get your reel and do you have a picture of the set up. I have a very cheap basic SMB and looking to upgrade. There are some good choices in my present location but know there must be a lot of other choices elsewhere. What other types of SMB/real combos are people using?

Thanks,

AZ

Arizona,

I don't have personal photos of my setup. My SMB is much like the Zeagle and can be found at Snorkel Vests, Gear, Diving Masks and more at Look4Quality: Dive Signal Tube 6 Ft. Tall - Sure-Sight Signal, Safety Tube, or at thier eBay store eBay Store - Look4Quality: Signal Tubes:. It performs well and I am very comfortable with it. My reel was purchased second-hand a few years ago here on Scubaboard. No namebrand on it. Very rugged, holds 120 feet of line, SS fixtures and a locking pin. I don't do wreck penetration, so it is used solely for low-vis nav assists and shooting my SMB to surface.

Debersole,

Do you have recommendation RE: buying it online. I am also thinking of ordering in some for a club a run. This looks perfect.

Thanks,

AZ
ScubaToys is one of the best online retailers out there ... Zeagle SMB Quick Deploy Deluxe Signal Marker Kit , Accessories-Signaling Devices, Zeagle, Zeagle SMB Quick Deploy Deluxe Signal Marker Kit ... and you can get 10% more off of that price just by saying your a SB member...

As for the OP's question ... from looking at the web site, it looks as if the $39 one is open on the bottom, It looks like the $89 version of the same model is self closing ... ScubaToys-SF Search Engine Output Page
call them, ask questions, or send Larry a PM, you will find their answers honest and helpful

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom