St. Thomas Dive Operator Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BurBunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to be in St. Thomas for one day in January, and based on logistics (along with previous reviews), I've narrowed my choices to Barefoot Divers, Admiralty Dive, and St. Thomas Diving Club. Would appreciate additional feedback on any of these operators, good or bad. My first choice was Chris Sawyer, but unfortunately their schedule doesn't work with my times.

Thank you!

Amber

Scorpionfish,

Thanks so much for the recommendation and link. I should have included in my original post that I'd been forced to eliminate Blue Island Divers since their dive boat doesn't have a dive ladder, only the swim platform. Due to some physical limitations, a platform makes it difficult for me. I've heard nothing but excellent recommendations of Blue Island - I just hope someday they add a ladder!

Amber

As you've probably heard already it's a good idea to avoid the big commericialized groups on the islands - for many reasons. I recommend the smaller operations.

I used a little mom & pop shop run called Admiralty Dive out of the Holiday Inn Windward Passage Hotel in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas. You can contact them through their website - www.admiraltydive.com

You can find details about my experience with Admiralty Dive and about the dives I made in this post:

St. Thomas recap

I forgot a very important aspect of the Admiralty Dive shop. They had the very latest new equipment less than a year old. Also it wasn't low end but middle of the line on everything - suits, BCs, regulators, masks, fins everything ... And when I commented on how impressed I was with the condition and maintenance, and handling, they laughed and said "this is the 'old stuff' and we're replacing it soon, we do that every year". Wow! I think that is cool. (I should add that I did bring all my own stuff, because I didn't know what to expect - but frankly knowing what I know now - I'd recommend giving yourself a break and pack lighter - they got good stuff!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom