STA or no-STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_mc

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry but I had to ask... never dived an STA or single cylinder wing in fact. Looking to make my first single wing system purchase and was after some feedback from divers who had tried both STA and no STA rigs.

Logic tells me that having a tank closer to your back is going to dive better but I have a feeling that in reality this argument could be very much like the horseshoe vs donut saga ie. there's no major difference in performance.

By the way I don't value the fact an STA helps in switching to doubles as I have a dedicated doubles setup already.

So assuming the no-STA setup is solid and has no tank wobble (that would be a deal breaker) does introducing an STA create any sort of performance or other issue when diving?

I dive my singles BP/W both with a STA and without. The tank is much more stable with the STA. I did feel some tank wobble without it at times. And having the extra 1-2 pounds is good too. However, sometimes I can't quite reach the valve with the STA in, and I can quite easily without it. If you are doing Tec or GUE training, you must be able to reach it, or you will be failed. I'm doing both of those this month and will try removing the STA just to be sure I can reach and manipulate the valve.

Some people feel that not having to deal with an STA is a benefit for the single-tank diver who has no plans for the foreseeable future to switch his rig to doubles. If doubles are not anywhere on your horizon, then why NOT go STA-less? It's my understanding that the STA-less wing was invented specifically because single-tank divers were increasingly buying BP/Ws. They don't NEED an STA. However, I have heard two rationales for single-tank divers preferring to use an STA even though they do not plan to switch their rig to doubles in the foreseeable future:

1. An STA adds a little distance between your head and the tank valve. Some people who have tried STA-less wings have felt that they bump their head on the valve. Others have not encountered that. Still others find the added distance tends to throw their balance off, since the weight of the tank is now further from your back. Edit: And it might also make the valve harder to reach, as someone else just mentioned.

2. An STA can be weighted. So if you need extra lead for the kind of diving you do, a weighted STA might be useful.

The best thing to do is try both and see what you prefer. This was the advice I received when I was in your shoes. In the end, I went STA-less from DSS.

The STA moves the tank further off from the diver's centerline, increasing the force it's able to exert on the diver. I dive a STA-less wing (old Halcyon Pioneer 27) and have never noticed any tank movement versus the wing and STA I occasionally used before...if your tank is moving around with no STA and two cambands, you're not tightening the bands correctly.

I didn't have wobble that I recall when I dove my bp/w with no sta. What I did have was a tank that would never sit quite straight.. it always ended up slightly crooked. I don't know how much that really matters since on most dives you shouldn't be swimming a triathalon, but I didn't like it and bought an STA.

There's a wide variety of sta's out there. Some move the tank further from your body than others. Some are heavier than others. Here's a really lightweight one that doesn't look like it's going to move the tank very far.

It's funny you talk about tank straightness issues and then link to a two-piece STA :wink: I have that Oxycheq mini on an old Halcyon 18lb batwing that doesn't have cam slots and I'm forever trying to get the two pieces lined up. Once it's all clamped down, though, things are more or less fine.

I dive a no sta kit. yea streamlined i guess, but for me its about less parts to loose. I use a oxycheq wing like in the link only a 30-32#. yea streamlines also I guess. Not till later when i put on a lavacore did i find there was a price for it. because the tank fits so close to the backplate and i use 8# tanks, it inpeeds the full filling of the wing. The wing is squeezed between the tank and plate. the 30# wing can only inflate to say.....75%. Its not a problem if you are aware of it and buy the larger size to begin with. You will hose your self if you compute you need a 30 and you can only get 24 out of it. I wasnt and with the lp120 full tank on and the lavacore (Zero buoyancy) . i struggled to stay on the surface. I had always worn the 3/2 shorty and had no problem. The only other matter with the non sta is that the tank is closer to you as well as the valve, (head knocker) and if you have a wing with the hose that is centered on the wing and not on the shoulder, you get a lot of binding when it comes to routing hoses and the like. That 1 inch makes a big difference in head movement and kit set up. I must say that I use h valves so ther are 2 regs on the single lp120,,,, so take that into consideration when thnking about my restricted hose situation between the valve and the plate. I used to use DSS wings but had to go to the oxycheq wing with the non sta/ anti tank roll devices in it to get a wing with a hose on the shoulder.
If I had to buy over again would i do things different. NOPE I would however use an AL plate instead of the steel when using the lavacore. Every dive day is a lesson learned.

regards
OxyCheq - OxyCheq 18# MACH V Chroma Series Single Tank Wing - Mariner Blue

Last edited:
I am one of the odd ones that still prefers them on hard plates, like Kelemvor most of the ones that I have used tend to be difficult to get the tanks to sit straight, and if you're in colder waters the ones that can be weighted are quite nice if you need it. I actually have less of an issue with STA-Less rigs for hitting my head since the tank can be a bit higher up on the plate but because the first stage tucks into the crook of your neck when you're head is back it works, with the tank in the same position with an STA you tend to clunk your head on it.

If you have a good wing that doesn't need it, and especially if you are planning on travelling, then I'd go without, if you need/want the extra weight it certainly doesn't hurt.

I dive an STA for a couple of reasons. First I need the extra ballast that it affords me. Secondly, when I dive on a 6 pack I actually have an STA on both of my tanks secured with the cambands. The tanks ride in the tank holders and I use the delrin handwheel type nuts. So when I swap tanks I simply unscrew, slide my rig to the fresh tank, line up the holes and screw it down. No need to wiggle the tank out of the cam bands, re affix, lock them down and replace the tank in the holder. Finally, like said above I can use a smaller wing with 8" tanks because the added distance allows for the wing to reach it's full lift capacity if needed.

If you are going to have a dedicated doubles setup AND a singles rig, I don't think an STA gives you much, unless you like putting a lot of weight on your rig. I use the DSS singles setup, and I have never noticed any tank movement at all. I put extra weight in camband weight pouches, because I like to be able to remove the weight to move the rig around on land, so I would not use a weighted STA anyway.

Back
Top Bottom