stage diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wallacm

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was talking to a buddy of mine, and we got onto the subject about turning the air off of your stage bottle when you drop it. I said to keep it on, but his rebuttle was what if there was a small leak that went unnoticed, and when you arrived back at your stage it was empty.

It got me thinking, anyways was wondering what yall's thoughts were.

If you are not using it, turn it off. Not only a leak, but a small change in the water could cause the tank to shift and create a freeflow on the reg. (fell against a rock or something).

Having it turned off wont cause any problems that couldn't be fixed in a couple of seconds.

Having it turned on and leak, might have consequences that are life threatening.

I went stage diving once. It was at an Eric's Trip concert back in university. That was pretty cool but a bouncer grabbed me and told me I'd be booted if I did that again. So no more stage diving for me.

Turn it on to pressurize the system so no water gets in the reg and then turn it off again until you need it.

R..

jiveturkey:
I went stage diving once. It was at an Eric's Trip concert back in university. That was pretty cool but a bouncer grabbed me and told me I'd be booted if I did that again. So no more stage diving for me.

Dang! And I always thought it had to do with grabbing the axel and avoiding the horses' hooves!

Seriously, turn it off; more chances of a problem with it on and unattended than off.

At one show, the lead singer of Reliant K (this was a few years ago right before they became a crappy band plagued by preteen girls) did some stage diving. One second, my hands were on his back holding him up, the next the entire crowd tried to step back. 50 people must have fallen over. I landed on the ground under several people, with the lead dude of RK right on top of me. He was sweaty. He looked out of it like he hadn't expected to end up lying on the ground on top of another sweaty guy. He almost twisted my ankle. After the show, I got him to sign my shoe. I also have never seen them again.

Leave it pressurized in the off position when not in use. You don't want to come back and find that it is empty.

wallacm:
I was talking to a buddy of mine, and we got onto the subject about turning the air off of your stage bottle when you drop it. I said to keep it on, but his rebuttle was what if there was a small leak that went unnoticed, and when you arrived back at your stage it was empty.

It got me thinking, anyways was wondering what yall's thoughts were.

Diver0001:
Turn it on to pressurize the system so no water gets in the reg and then turn it off again until you need it.

R..
It is a simple as this. (what Diver0001 said)

But to the OP, be aware of gas management when diving stages, be aware what you have the stages for, where your reserve is and how long both the stage and reserve last, whether to drop the stages on carry with you. Think it through, and if not sure take the safe plan. A lot of people get in some trouble by not planning correctly. Diving stages means that not all your gas is in one (set of) tank(s).

Diver0001:

R..

Ditto.

I'd sure hate to get back to my bottle to find it drained of air... :11:

12 hours of stage diving and slamming for me during the record release party for "Not So Quiet on the Western Front'
notsoquiet.jpg

Other than that, I would suggest charging the reg (open the valve), then shut it down until ready for use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom