stage diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
You have amazingly thin skin or is it that you do not like your "procedures" questioned?
The thickness of my skin is irrelevant to the discussion, just as it's wrong to assume I'm not willing to have my procedures and assumptions questioned. I don't think it's unreasonable (though perhaps a bit old-fashioned) to expect civility and polite manners in any conversation, however. At their best, ad hominem attacks are usually the sign of a weak argument, at their worst they're often a sign of a weak mind.

There are three reasons people participate in these discussions: they want to learn, they want to teach, or they want to win. I've respect for the first, appreciation of the second and no use for the third. I don't believe that anyone thinks learning or teaching are facilitated by insults, which would leave only one option available for those that employ them.

We may disagree but being disagreeable serves no noble purpose.

reefraff:
The thickness of my skin is irrelevant to the discussion, just as it's wrong to assume I'm not willing to have my procedures and assumptions questioned. I don't think it's unreasonable (though perhaps a bit old-fashioned) to expect civility and polite manners in any conversation, however. At their best, ad hominem attacks are usually the sign of a weak argument, at their worst they're often a sign of a weak mind.

There are three reasons people participate in these discussions: they want to learn, they want to teach, or they want to win. I've respect for the first, appreciation of the second and no use for the third. I don't believe that anyone thinks learning or teaching are facilitated by insults, which would leave only one option available for those that employ them.

Hope you two can get back on track......we are ALL divers first....and we ALL have oppions on the way things should be done. There is knowone on the board that has all the answers or all the expertise.....this sport is one that is continually growing and we should all be like sponges---learning from others and at the same time sharing what we find good in diving. :)

To change the subject for just a minute, who hear actually uses this method (i.e. actually breath 1/3 of the stage)?

I breath the stage to the 1/2+2 and reduce backgas available prior to applying 1/3rds.

Example: Assume buddies have same volume of gas
stage 3000 psi
104s 3600 psi
breath stage to 1/2+200 = 1700 psi
Turn backgas at 2400+200=2600 psi

I like the fact that one person uses the stage and reserves his buddies gas in the doubles where it is far safer to donate from. I can always drop an empty stage and reduce drag when necessary when something goes south.

Dive-aholic:
Breathe the stage down 1/3, clip it off, go to back gas. Turn dive on 1/3s, head back to stage bottle, pick up and switch back, head to entrance/exit to deco bottles. So finding your bottle can even be a problem if you leave it charged and it drained because you still have a ways to go before you get to your deco bottle!

Dan Gibson:
To change the subject for just a minute, who hear actually uses this method (i.e. actually breath 1/3 of the stage)?
Stage bottles. I suck them empty and then go to the next (which is typically backgas)

reefraff:
I like how you throw your own insult in. Pot meet kettle.

Too funny.

I was thinking more along the lines of cave diving, but I usually do come back with next to nothing in them. Sometimes we will just dive the stages and not use the backgas. It sure makes lugging tanks out of Edd's pontoons a lot easier when you only have to move one set of 104s during the day. Stages are a lot easier to lift.

JeffG:
Stage bottles. I suck them empty and then go to the next (which is typically backgas)

reefraff:
There are three reasons people participate in these discussions: they want to learn, they want to teach, or they want to win. I've respect for the first, appreciation of the second and no use for the third....

You forgot the fourth- those that participate purely for the sheer entertainment of it all. Kind of like kicking open an ant hill just to watch and enjoy the mayhem that comes afterwards

Noble, shmoble-I say bring on the ant hill.

Dan Gibson:
It sure makes lugging tanks out of Edd's pontoons a lot easier when you only have to move one set of 104s during the day. Stages are a lot easier to lift.

That's what the cart and 4-wheeler are for! :)

nadwidny:
You forgot the fourth- those that participate purely for the sheer entertainment of it all. Kind of like kicking open an ant hill just to watch and enjoy the mayhem that comes afterwards

Did you forget about the part where we then pour gas on them and light them on fire :wink:

Must be an Ontario thing....

Dan Gibson:

I breath the stage to the 1/2+2 and reduce backgas available prior to applying 1/3rds.

That's the way I do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom