Staged decompression training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm interested into moving into staged decompression diving. What was the most important skill or knowledge concept you learned in the course you took?

Uncle Pug:
Would you believe buoyancy control?

I would indeed. Its the basis of all good diving isn't it? :wink:

Buoyancy control while experiencing multiple malfunctions and distractions.

Buoyancy control with no mask and sharing gas on the long hose while your buddy is shooting a bag.

Buoyancy control while shutting down a right post with blown o-ring and maintaining that buoyancy control just as your buddy *loses* his mask and you go OOA.

Buoyancy control through all the stops while controlling your buddy's buoyancy because he has no mask and maintaining both of your positions in the water while you switch gas for both of you.

I would use this as my signature line but I already have a purdy one:
Buoyancy Control and Breathing Control are conjoined twins that cannot be separated without both dying.

Uncle Pug:
Buoyancy control while experiencing multiple malfunctions and distractions.

Buoyancy control with no mask and sharing gas on the long hose while your buddy is shooting a bag.

Buoyancy control while shutting down a right post with blown o-ring and maintaining that buoyancy control just as your buddy *loses* his mask and you go OOA.

Buoyancy control through all the stops while controlling your buddy's buoyancy because he has no mask and maintaining both of your positions in the water while you switch gas for both of you.

I would use this as my signature line but I already have a purdy one:
Buoyancy Control and Breathing Control are conjoined twins that cannot be separated without both dying.

I got some of that in the DIR-F course. Certainly needs practice especially with as little diving as I've done this year.

Is that a quote from you about the Bouyancy control and Breathing Control....

I'll put it in my signature line and credit you since your line is already so purdy.

BTW tell ckharlan66 I need a buddy to practice with.

jbd:
Is that a quote from you about the Bouyancy control and Breathing Control....

I'll put it in my signature line
Yes it is... and I was hoping you'd say that.

You need me to tell him for you???

Tell you what... move out here to the PNW and I will dive with you.

Uncle Pug:
Yes it is... and I was hoping you'd say that.

You need me to tell him for you???

Tell you what... move out here to the PNW and I will dive with you.

He's stubborn and won't listen to me. I do need to make a trip out west and do some diving with you guys. The same show that got me hooked on Great Lakes diving also had some awesome looking diving in your area.

jbd:
I'm interested into moving into staged decompression diving. What was the most important skill or knowledge concept you learned in the course you took?

Yeah I would say for me it was gear configuration and managing more gear. I learned how inadequate my recreational rig was for deco diving. I completed my first level deco training about 8 months ago and I am still making small refinements to my rig. I'm sure this will continue for a long time as I complete more deco dives. There is a real science to properly configuring a rig for deco diving. I also learned how incredibly important zip ties are in deco diving :wink:

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom