Staged decompression training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't use many zip ties.

matt_unique:
Tell me this is not used for a drysuit seal?!? :)

I have never done so but I know of those who have used it to repair/snug a leaking seal.

The most important skill or knowledge besides real life experience is

a. Understanding why you are doing the decompression stops at different depths in the first place.

b. How to optimize your decompression with alternate gases

c. How to mix, label, and carry these gases so you dont screw up.

If your planning on getting into techincal diving, all your basic skills such as bouyancy, mask clearing, reg recovery should have already been MASTERED. If you do not have these mastered and a 100 dives under your belt, stay in the shallow swimming pool, we dont need you in deep end.

I agree with Curt... if you haven't mastered buoyancy control then you are not ready to start decompression diving. All the understanding of decompression theory, what deco gases to use and how to mix them really is meaningless if you can't hold a stop.

So.... how's your buoyancy control? And would it be just as good under adverse conditions while dealing with equipment failures, ect.

I've seen *technical divers* hanging on a line to hold stops. A buddy of mine said he saw a *technical* class crawling up the bottom at a local training site from stop to stop. Makes you wonder.

Curt Bowen:
The most important skill or knowledge besides real life experience is

a. Understanding why you are doing the decompression stops at different depths in the first place.

b. How to optimize your decompression with alternate gases

c. How to mix, label, and carry these gases so you dont screw up.

If your planning on getting into techincal diving, all your basic skills such as bouyancy, mask clearing, reg recovery should have already been MASTERED. If you do not have these mastered and a 100 dives under your belt, stay in the shallow swimming pool, we dont need you in deep end.

a.) I'm working on this as we speak in my preparations for the class I'm going to take. BRW's books have been quite helpful.

b.) Working on this also in preparation for the technical nitrox course I'm going to take soon(hopefully)

c.) working on this also and although I have not actually mixed any gas yet I believe I could do so. I'm hoping to take the gas blender course in late Sept 04.

I can, and prefer to hold stops off the line. Its so much less crowded 20 feet away :wink: Ascents and stops can be made without a reference line as well. All the basic skills are mastered and more than 200 dives. Very few in clear warm water.

Uncle Pug:
I agree with Curt... if you haven't mastered buoyancy control then you are not ready to start decompression diving. All the understanding of decompression theory, what deco gases to use and how to mix them really is meaningless if you can't hold a stop.

I agree 100%

Uncle Pug:
So.... how's your buoyancy control? And would it be just as good under adverse conditions while dealing with equipment failures, ect.

In all honesty, this year its not what I would like it to be since I have less than a dozen dives this year and I feel out of practice and not dialed in as well as I should be. This fact will delay my actually signing up for the classes I want to take but I will still prepare myself for the courses. When I'm actively diving and or actively teaching I am very dialed into the accuracy of stops ,ascents, descents and bouyancy control with or without visual reference.

Uncle Pug:
I've seen *technical divers* hanging on a line to hold stops. A buddy of mine said he saw a *technical* class crawling up the bottom at a local training site from stop to stop. Makes you wonder.

This would be grounds for hari kari even if it was an OW class.

Green_Manelishi:
Are they more or less important than duct tape? :wink:

Duct tape!! the cure for all things :wink: Don't leave home without it.

jbd:
a.) I'm working on this as we speak in my preparations for the class I'm going to take. BRW's books have been quite helpful.

b.) Working on this also in preparation for the technical nitrox course I'm going to take soon(hopefully)

c.) working on this also and although I have not actually mixed any gas yet I believe I could do so. I'm hoping to take the gas blender course in late Sept 04.

I can, and prefer to hold stops off the line. Its so much less crowded 20 feet away :wink: Ascents and stops can be made without a reference line as well. All the basic skills are mastered and more than 200 dives. Very few in clear warm water.

Great

Your ready, I have a couple expeditions coming up. Want to go?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom