Stale air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cirwin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

How long can I leave air in my tank before it isn't a great idea to breathe it? Or does it even matter?

Thanks,

Chris

I don't technically know the answer to this, but here's an experience from before I was a diver:

My friend is a diver, but hasn't dove in like 3-4 years. He has a few hundred dives so he felt comfortable taking his gear out and going for a 15' dive in this man-made lake to look for my other buddy's lost ring.

He pulled his tank out, which was filled over 3 years ago, called his LDS and asked them if the air was still good, and they said yeah.

He dove on that tank and had no issues.

Again, I don't know who his LDS was at the time since I wasn't a diver, and I don't know the exact details so I'd check with a more credible source before you do anything.

Interesting. Never came across that one before???

Since it's not talked about much, maybe there's no specific data on when if ever air goes bad. I'd like to hear the official verdict on this (however I already can feel that there will be a debate over this).

this is just a guess, but i would guess a frigging long time

there's nothing in air "to go bad." i guess the most you could get is a bit of rust
in there (not sure if true), but that's not going to hurt

I would not go longer than one season, air fills are cheap.

of course if it's sitting more than a year, it's due for a viz by then...

my personal best is 5 months, and the tank was out of viz. air was fine and the tank didn't explode on me.

The only information I've ever read on "stale air" was a passing mention noting that corrosion (which consumes oxygen) could decrease the oxygen fraction in the air. Obviously, I just had to try some numbers out...

Let's start with a fictional "Iron 80". Now, since we know that 1 mole of gas occupies 22.4 liters of volume at STP, and using the conversion 28.3 liters per cubic foot, we find out our ~200 bar I-80 is a conveniently-sized 100 mole tank. Since it's been there a while, we'll assume it was filled with standard air (since we would've certainly used a nitrox fill by now), and we'll simplify things by rounding to 21% O2 / 79% N2.

In NAUI's Nitrox Diver course materials, they state that the EAN dive tables can be used with gas mixtures within 1% of the stated fraction of O2, so we'll assume our old air will be good if it still has 20% oxygen by the time we use it. Doing the numbers, that means we can "use up" 1.25 moles of O2 to form 0.83 moles of rust (Fe2O3, the red, flaky rust), which is 133 grams, 0.29 pounds, or about 4 and 3/4 ounces of rust. (Incidentally, the I-80 would've lost only about 40psi from the oxygen used up to make the rust, assuming the rust was the same volume as the iron from which it came.)

So, basically, if you shake your tank and hear a big pile of rust rattling around inside it, don't use it, but stale air should likely be the least of your worries. I'd be more concerned about getting crud into my regulators.

ClayJar:
The only information I've ever read on "stale air" was a passing mention noting that corrosion (which consumes oxygen) could decrease the oxygen fraction in the air. Obviously, I just had to try some numbers out...

Let's start with a fictional "Iron 80". Now, since we know that 1 mole of gas occupies 22.4 liters of volume at STP, and using the conversion 28.3 liters per cubic foot, we find out our ~200 bar I-80 is a conveniently-sized 100 mole tank. Since it's been there a while, we'll assume it was filled with standard air (since we would've certainly used a nitrox fill by now), and we'll simplify things by rounding to 21% O2 / 79% N2.

In NAUI's Nitrox Diver course materials, they state that the EAN dive tables can be used with gas mixtures within 1% of the stated fraction of O2, so we'll assume our old air will be good if it still has 20% oxygen by the time we use it. Doing the numbers, that means we can "use up" 1.25 moles of O2 to form 0.83 moles of rust (Fe2O3, the red, flaky rust), which is 133 grams, 0.29 pounds, or about 4 and 3/4 ounces of rust. (Incidentally, the I-80 would've lost only about 40psi from the oxygen used up to make the rust, assuming the rust was the same volume as the iron from which it came.)

So, basically, if you shake your tank and hear a big pile of rust rattling around inside it, don't use it, but stale air should likely be the least of your worries. I'd be more concerned about getting crud into my regulators.

WOW!! I'd have to say that's a mouthfull! Providing that this is all true (and you aren't blowing bubbles everyone's butts!! :wink: ) That's impressive info!! Are you a rocket (or scuba) scientist? That's some deep stuff!

Kudos to you for knowing it! I'm in awe at that answer!

Back
Top Bottom