Stalked by a Barracuda....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They were more 1/2 the length of my boat!!!!!!!!!!!For reference....they were so close that the brushing against the hull so I wasn't mistaking their size!

Sorry the boat wasn't 20 ft...19ft 8" to be exact according to the manufacturer

Speargirl and I once had a barracuda hang out while snorkeling in Molasses Reef. I saw two, and was totally fascinated by the way they hung around. One quickly left, but the other just hung around us the whole time. Most likely, it was probably waiting to catch some of the many fish that were hanging around being fed crackers by the many boats in the area. It darted at Speargirl, so we decided it was time to get back in the boat. Of course, it positioned itself between us and the boat, and we decided not to mess with it. We ended up literally swimming in a big circle around the cuda in order to get back!

I've yet to meet a barro that didn't move off when I looked straight at it and slowly approached with a speargun. I'm twice as big as the biggest barro and he knows it. Size is the main law in the sea. The only ones that seemed to not move, and as a result ended up in my cooler, had just eaten. When I gutted them both had a big, fresh grunt in their stomachs.

Saw a dive guide in Cozumel lure a barracuda toward him. The guide hung vertically in the water column, turned his back on a 4 ft 'cuda that was about 30 ft away, stuck out his arm full length, and wiggled his fingers gently. The 'cuda re-oriented toward the fingers and gradually approached. The guide then started to rotate his arm away from the fish. This made the fish follow more closely and to swim around the guide. Over the course of about a minute, the fish swam from the 30 ft distance to the guide and completed a 10 or so ft radius circle around the guide as the guide completed his rotation. The barracuda lost interest when the guide dropped his arm next to his body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom