Standard Octo versus Air Link

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yelldawg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm in the process of purchasing my first set of gear. I'm debating over purchasing a standard octo versus an "Air Link" type setup on my BCD. I'll be in warm water rec diving only, and am only looking to spend $150-250 on a basic unit.

I've heard the "air link" type is better because you always know where it is, and because it wont drag or such.

Are there any clear benefits to a standard octo? What do you use and why?

I wouldn't say that the "Air Link" style backup reg is any better than having a properly secured octo. I would say it's simply different. Regardless of which reg setup is used, the problem that divers encounter is that they don't practice sharing air often enough...so when they encounter a stressful situation and need to share air, the procedure doesn't unfold very smoothly.

If you have a leaky power inflater button, then the standard procedure is to disconnect the LP inflater hose. If you do this, you won't have access to your backup "Air Link" style alternative air source. Admittedly, if you maintain your gear properly, this should be a very rare occurrence. Even then, if you needed to share air, you could still buddy breathe on the primary reg with the OOA diver.

Personally, I like keeping my backup reg separate from my power inflater/BCD exhaust buttons. In my experience, this simplifies things while doing a shared air-ascent. If you end up going with an "Air Link" style backup, make sure that you practice using it during shared air-ascents.

I prefer to dive with two identical, high performance second stages. This simplifies servicing and maintenance. Moreover, on a dive trip, I can carry one backup overhaul kit that can be used with either second stage.

FYI, I am strictly a recreational diver. I dive with my primary reg on 5 ft. hose and necklaced backup reg on a short hose (24 in. long). In an OOA situation, I would donate my primary reg and breathe off of my backup.

Concur with BT. Using the inflator as the OCTO makes for ackward ascents sharing air, especially from "deeper" depth where you have to let out a lot of air for controlled ascents.
Read Deeper= 50'+

I wouldn't say one is better than the other. As for the ackward ascents that need not be the case if you practice using the airlink while making ascents and practice OOA drills while using the Airlink.
It isn't difficult just different and you should be familar with it before having to do it in an actual OOA incident.
Aside from that as long as you are using it for standard recreational diving environments that do not include overhead, cave or wreck environments it is a fine choice. If fact I prefer the integrated octo and have them on my rigs. I also use a 5' hose on my primary second stage. Since it is the donor reg it gives me and a buddy a bit of extra space to move during air sharing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom