Starfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On another thread one of the posters mentioned starfish. Most of my diving has been in Southeastern Florida, the Keys and Cozumel. I don't remember seeing any starfish. Is it that I haven't been observant enough or are there no starfish around these reefs?

Helloooooo......???

You know what? Now that you bring it up..... I haven't either....

Outside of Oreaster, there really aren't any Caribbean starfish that make themselves very accessible to viewing. Most species will hide in cracks or bury in sand... they tend to be negatively phototactic like brittle stars.

And Oreaster prefers seagrass beds.

Come on out to the PNW. Hood canal has them in bunches. You can wade out and see starfish as big as a dinner plate in three feet of water.

I've never seen any starfish on or around reefs in South East Florida, however in protected waters such as Blue Heron Bridge, the place is teeming with starfish.

Lehmann108:
I've never seen any starfish on or around reefs in South East Florida, however in protected waters such as Blue Heron Bridge, the place is teeming with starfish.

I am intensely curious as to what kind they are. If they aren't Oreasters, can you describe in detail the habitat type (sand, rubble, seagrass, etc...)?

When I was in Cozumel I saw about 3-4 knobby sea stars (pretty good sized too). But I've definitely seen more off the coast of California! :)

Back
Top Bottom