Started a blog about living in Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sloeber

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Thought some readers of this forum may have an interest of what it is like to live in Utila. I'm doing it mostly for friends and family, but it will be enjoyable to anyone with an interest in Utila or even following the Divemaster/Instructor path in life. You can register to recieve updates (about once per week). Please do share with others whom may find it interesting. Thanks!

Homepage: Not all those who wander are lost — Salty Endeavors

First post (about 9 in total thus far): And So It Begins — Salty Endeavors

Excellent

That's exactly the sort of stuff I want to read as I sit here biding my time before departure.

Great stuff, you're our :sblogo: Man in Utila

and I sure know what you mean about being weightless.
​

I agree. Great read. You are probably spending alot of time with new students out in front of our place on the south shore. See the link below and I suspect you'll recognize the dock. We'll be down for a while in the spring and I'm happy to buy you a beer when I am. Great publicity for a my favorite island. Thanks for writing the blog.

Nice to read about your exploits and your perspective of Utila, keep writing!

your blog is great, thanks for sharing!

i'm waiting to pack in the mundane life and head off into the sunset to get my pro diving qualifications and Utila is top of the list at the moment.

would you be able to give an indication of cost of rental accommodation there? hoping to spend at least 3 months there so looking to rent room/apartment/house with my boyfriend. we're budgeting $150-200 per month for rent but not sure if that's possible on Utila?

keep living the dream :)

Thanks! ...Sure no problem... I pay for a one bedroom at $400/month which includes full furnishing (nice, new stuff), 40" HDTV, cable, hot water, AC (I pay the electric on AC) and various other amenitites. Basic internet is $25/month but I pay $50/month for the T1 line. I also have all 7 windows of my apartment with an ocean view. Friends live in apartments as cheap as $200/month for 2 bedrooms, and they are quite large compared to my place. However, the furniture is worn and falling apart, the walls are concrete cinder blocks, minimal windows, no TV, back in the bush with tarantulas, scorpions, roaches, snakes, etc... I find them quite depressing honestly. Naturally there are apartments in the full range as well. There is no shortage of places to stay on the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom