Started working out, started gaining weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit:
Thank you all so much for the advice! I'm not afraid of getting huge, my general body make-up probably wouldn't allow that without steroids and I'm not interested in that :wink: My legs/butt have always been one some of my (and others) favorite body parts but they are starting to pick up fat and the day I felt my thighs rub together when I was walking was "the last straw" that finally drove me to the gym.

Ber :lilbunny:

And all this time I thought it was your mind that attracted your hubby :) I know the first thing I noticed about my wife is her mind ....

havnmonkey:
The average person can only add about 10-15 pounds of muscle in one year; that's w/out chemicals. You are doing well, keep it up. Solid results that last usually show up in a month or two.

With chemicals, proper exercise and good genetics ... www.jaycutler.com
My step sons grew up with Jay. When my wife looks at this picture of Jay she says he looks like a monster. :D

Thanks for all the links and information everybody!

So when should I increase the weights? I noticed I was getting through all 3 sets of 10 with the weight I was using so yesterday I bumped most of them up one plate (12 pounds). Some of the stuff I could still do 3 sets of 10 no problem but others I could get one set of 10 and a second set of 5-7 before I had to quit and decrease the weight a plate. If I had to decrease the weight to finish the sets I did one extra set of 10. I think I'm doing something wrong on the back extension though because 180 lbs was still relatively easy to do 3 sets with.

I'm not sure what a reasonable expectation is as far as how much weight I should be able to lift for the different exercises. I know I should be able to keep my form and I should keep the weights under control but how do I find the line between "that's a workout" and "you're going to kill yourself lifting that" ?

Green_Manelishi:
And all this time I thought it was your mind that attracted your hubby :) I know the first thing I noticed about my wife is her mind ....

So, care to explain how a man notices a woman's mind first if he's behind her the first time he sees her :rofl3:
Some of my favorite comments I've received from co-workers over the years:
"Daaaaammmmmm girl, you got one TASTY walk!"
"You got a license for that thing? Looks like a moving violation to me!"
"We love it when you come around but we'd rather watch you leave!"
"Your legs sure know how to make an ***** of themselves."

Ber Rabbit:
Thanks for all the links and information everybody!

So when should I increase the weights? I noticed I was getting through all 3 sets of 10 with the weight I was using so yesterday I bumped most of them up one plate (12 pounds). Some of the stuff I could still do 3 sets of 10 no problem but others I could get one set of 10 and a second set of 5-7 before I had to quit and decrease the weight a plate. If I had to decrease the weight to finish the sets I did one extra set of 10. I think I'm doing something wrong on the back extension though because 180 lbs was still relatively easy to do 3 sets with.

I'm not sure what a reasonable expectation is as far as how much weight I should be able to lift for the different exercises. I know I should be able to keep my form and I should keep the weights under control but how do I find the line between "that's a workout" and "you're going to kill yourself lifting that" ?

So, care to explain how a man notices a woman's mind first if he's behind her the first time he sees her :rofl3:
Some of my favorite comments I've received from co-workers over the years:
"Daaaaammmmmm girl, you got one TASTY walk!"
"You got a license for that thing? Looks like a moving violation to me!"
"We love it when you come around but we'd rather watch you leave!"
"Your legs sure know how to make an ***** of themselves."

On the first: if you can't control it, or need to cheat or bounce then it's too heavy.

Heavy weight, low rep stimulates muscle growth: if the weight prevents more than 8 good reps it's not a bad thing. Once you can do more than 8 with good form then increase the weight. If you have to reduce the number of reps in each set it's because the muscles are "tiring" and that too is not a bad thing. Muscle fibers either do work or they do not; they don't do "just enough". The more work that is required the more fibers get in on the action. One good set done to muscle exhaustion is more better than 4 half-azzed sets. The "problem" is that most people aren't willing to work that hard on one set so they do several sets of each exercise and they do several exercises for each muscle. Only you can decide if it's a good weight or it will kill you but you need to be honest and realistic; you also need a good trainer or partner who is willing to push you when you'd rather quit. For some reason a lot of mens think women can't "lift weights". Ha. I've been "spotted" by some women that put a lot of "men" to shame.

On the second: most men are liars and pigs so will claim whatever they think will impress the woman of their desire. Me? I told my wife straight out that the first thing I noticed was how nice she looked in her jeans and t-shirt. And yes, I was watching her from a different room as she, of all things, washed a wall in a house a group of us from church were cleaning. But I am shocked and dismayed at the brazenness of some men. Like the men you quote. :D

Green_Manelishi:
bounce then it's too heavy.

Heavy weight, low rep stimulates muscle growth: if the weight prevents more than 8 good reps it's not a bad thing. Once you can do more than 8 with good form then increase the weight. If you have to reduce the number of reps in each set it's because the muscles are "tiring" and that too is not a bad thing. Muscle fibers either do work or they do not; they don't do "just enough". The more work that is required the more fibers get in on the action. One good set done to muscle exhaustion is more better than 4 half-azzed sets.

This is all correct except that in doing all that hard work on your muscles, you have to feed them a high protein diet (and an otherwise balanced diet) and many times a day to remain in an anabolic state or you'll just tone them and possibly lose mass. To gain mass you have to eat mass.
Speaking of Jay Cutler, I just read an article about him and he actually wakes himself up every 2 1/2 hours at night to eat. Some say it's a bit overboard but he did just win the Mr Universe.

Hank49:
This is all correct except that in doing all that hard work on your muscles, you have to feed them a high protein diet (and an otherwise balanced diet) and many times a day to remain in an anabolic state or you'll just tone them and possibly lose mass. To gain mass you have to eat mass.
Speaking of Jay Cutler, I just read an article about him and he actually wakes himself up every 2 1/2 hours at night to eat. Some say it's a bit overboard but he did just win the Mr Universe.

Thanks for that addition. I was remiss in that regard.

But, too much protein (i.e. an unbalanced diet) is hard on your kidneys so drink plenty water. Most people do not really require a lot of protein but if the calorie intake (assuming balanced diet) is not high enough to replace the fuel that's been burned as well as fuel the growth you will not make any gains.

Green_Manelishi:
Thanks for that addition. I was remiss in that regard.

But, too much protein (i.e. an unbalanced diet) is hard on your kidneys so drink plenty water. Most people do not really require a lot of protein but if the calorie intake (assuming balanced diet) is not high enough to replace the fuel that's been burned as well as fuel the growth you will not make any gains.

And thank you for the water intake addition. They (guys like Jay) do recommend drinking a minimum of a gallon per day. I've been doing that a lot lately but man, what goes in does come out.....:D

How do I tell if I'm cheating? I try to make sure to keep my back straight, especially for the chest presses because when my arms start to fail I have this urge to arch my back then lunge. Naturally I resist the urge and plant my feet more firmly, press my back into the pad and exhale my way through that rep.

Green_Manelishi:
You need more appropriate music. I find that Megadeth tunes are helpful for zoning. There are some rocking White Zombie tunes as well.

That is what I like to listen to :D

Ber, if you are wanting to lose the fat first. Use less weight and more reps. If you are wanting to tone and not build big muscle same stands true.

And as everyone has said, eat, eat, eat. When I first began training that was the hardest part for me. So I started making things up at the beginning of the week to leave in the frig then I always had something healthy to reach for. :D

I haven't been able to work out for a very long time. I can not wait to get back into it :wink:

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I have to.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. Five pounds of fat tissue will be of lesser density and more voluminous than five pounds of muscle tissue but they will weigh the same, yes that's right five pounds!
To make the statement correctly would be to write, muscle tissue is more dense than fat tissue.

Ber, get your fat percentage taken and get your body measurements. I believe they are a better indicator of training success than scale weight. :)

Oh, I should also point you to a pretty (I think) site. http://www.stumptuous.com
Krista kicks azz.

Back
Top Bottom