Starter Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where are you located?
Members might be able to suggest a good local dive shop (LDS). A good dive shop is going to help you buy the right equipment for you and will give you the best value for your money (IMHO). They are also the ones you will turn to service your equipment and to inspect used gear you might buy. They might even have some used gear for you.
In Maine, I would suggest Barclays Skindivers Paradise in AUburn Maine. They have a good school too......
I would suggest buying your mask and snorkel and fins first. You then have a complete system to get you in the water.
In Maine where I dive, it is kind of uncomfortable to be in the water without at least a wetsuit. Finding one that fits in a rental shop can be hard so that would be my next purchase.
If you are going to dive often while not with a charter/dive shop I would go ahead and buy my BC and reg and tank etc. It is a pain to pick these up every time you want to go out and the rental fees add up fast. The key to this making sense is "will you dive often?".
I can't seem to stay out of the water so it made sense for me :wink:
-Ken

Hello New 2 Gear,

Welcome to wonderful world of Scuba. The main advice I'd like to share, is to make sure you're dealing with a reputable Authorized Dealer. There are a lot of great shops available at the click of a button and all will provide you great pricing.

The order in which you buy gear is really your choice, but most seem to lean toward buying package deals. I'm assuming you already have your Mask, Snorkel, Fins and Booties since you're certified. If you really don't want a full package right now, you might consider starting with your exposure suit first. There's just something about wearing a suit that someone else has worn.(If you know what I mean :wink:) Next, I would take time and try out several different Regulators and BCs. At our shop we provide different brands and styles allowing our students to make an educated decision when it comes time to buy. There are several factors that come in to play when buying equipment. Will you be diving cold or warm water? Tech or Rec diving? Will you be diving locally or traveling for most of your diving? These are just a few things you need to consider when buying. Remember, don't forget to checkout your local dive shop for advice! Hope this information helps.

For the regulator, buy the Aqualung's Titan (Yoke valve), Aqualung's octopus (Standard), you could use Aqualung, Cressi, or SCUBAPRO fins, use SCUBAPRO's BCD, Aqualung's wetsuit, Suunto gauges, Suunto computer (if you want to use one),any underwater weights and weight belt will be fine and this sums up what I would buy and I actually did buy these when I first went diving.

If you're like me, then you'll read a lot, talk a lot and rent a lot before you buy so that you're happy with what you buy.

If not, stick to anything from Apeks, Aqualung, Scubapro and Atomics for the reg.
BC wise, Seaquest, Halcyon, Dive Rite, OMS, Scubapro, Zeagle, Oceanic and a lot more brands are good too. I dont like Mares much but others swear by it. Try BP/W before you buy, you might just love em.
Mask, Fins, Wetsuit, take the cheapest second hand options first and then slowly upgrade.

hi everyone. my name is Michael Everio. I and my friends, Chris Freville and Amber Sharman, are diving since 10th April 2002. We decided to encourage our childs about diving. but we need some help about "where we can order starter diving gears?"

I would get the wetsuit, fins and mask/snorkel first and rent some gear to get used to something. See what you like and go from there...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom