Starting from scratch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They look ridiculous but they work well. :D

Is there anyone diving Atomic regs or with any opinion one way or the other about them? He's leaning toward the titanium B2 and I sort tried to distract him with different shiny things but it didn't really work.

Nothing wrong with Atomic, but the B2 is a waste of $$$ in my opinion. I have one and wish I would have gotten an M1 or Z2. The added Ti in the second stage just cuts down the versatility and increases the price. The swivel on the 1st and second don't really matter once you're using a long hose...and not all that much on a short hose either.

If he wants to spend that much money, the M1 is a better way to go for the same $. M1 is environmentally sealed, filled with christolube, heat sink (set up for cold, dirty water), has a larger exhaust T, better 2nd stage cover, and still good up to 50% even when it's nice and dirty. When O2 clean, people use it on 100% (Atomic says only up to 80% though).

In reality, the Z2 is just fine for the tanks on his back and are some really good bang for the buck. $200 cheaper, no swivel (added failure point), smaller 1st stage (good on doubles).

All atomics are solid performers and dead simple to work on if you can get the parts.

Perhaps but they look stupid and are a clear violation of Rule 6.

Yeah, well, with the Chuck Taylors, I'm a walking Rule 6 violation to begin with . . . :)

I'd suggest taking a second look at the Raider IV with the "hand sock" so that he starts off being used to having a light on the back of his hand. (It is also immediate feedback if he is using his hands for swimming!) That said, my first Raider IV lived for all of 5 minutes (?) underwater but it was replaced without issue by Edd and the new one seems to work fine.

While the H SMB is very good, I prefer the DSS SMB -- and speaking of DSS, Suunto SK7 with DSS boot -- oh and since money's no object, the LiquiVision X1 with the DSS boot!

What is this, the suggest the borderline stroke crap thread. X shorts, raider whatever that is. Come on.

For the pockets. Get a proper pocket and glue it to the wetsuit. Here is where, as far as I know, Halcyon really shines with its pockets. No need to get al nickel rockety over an item that costs less than a fill of mix even if you do have multiple suits.

As for lights, a proper backup is all that is needed in caribbean clarity water. Once there is a need for a true primary, go with a proper cannister.

My x-shorts and I take offense to that!

I'll not be wearing them over a drysuit, but as long as they're loaded at all times and ready, I don't need to worry about swapping stuff around from morning to afternoon when I switch suits, because I do, because I despise putting on a wet wetsuit.

Agreed, a drysuit is never out out, but I'm never going to look at a brand spankin' new diver in the Virgin Islands and tell him that basic gear for local diving requires a drysuit.

He did his very first post-cert dives this morning and did great. Yes, I see you out there lurking Mr. Guy-I'm-Talking-About.

R

Nothing wrong with Atomic, but the B2 is a waste of $$$ in my opinion. I have one and wish I would have gotten an M1 or Z2. The added Ti in the second stage just cuts down the versatility and increases the price. The swivel on the 1st and second don't really matter once you're using a long hose...and not all that much on a short hose either.

If he wants to spend that much money, the M1 is a better way to go for the same $. M1 is environmentally sealed, filled with christolube, heat sink (set up for cold, dirty water), has a larger exhaust T, better 2nd stage cover, and still good up to 50% even when it's nice and dirty. When O2 clean, people use it on 100% (Atomic says only up to 80% though).

In reality, the Z2 is just fine for the tanks on his back and are some really good bang for the buck. $200 cheaper, no swivel (added failure point), smaller 1st stage (good on doubles).

All atomics are solid performers and dead simple to work on if you can get the parts.

You hit the nail exactly on the head. Don't waste money on the titanium regs. Get the M 1. I have several M 1's and B-2s and would just buy M-1's if I was doing it again.

X-Shorts are actually pretty nice, and you can obviously use them with multiple suits. If I owned a drysuit it would have pockets sewn on, but I don't, so it's a moot point.

It isn't me being a nickle-rocket, it's being economically smart. I don't need 3 sets of pockets for 3 different wetsuits - especially since I just got out of college last month and have no job or income as of yet. :wink:

For $60 per wetsuit I have neoprene pockets stitched on to my wetsuits. I have been repeatedly asked where I get this done and I would imagine that this is available in lots of locations. The pockets have velcro and drain holes on the bottom and holes in the sides at the top for bungies. Simple and super useful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom