Starting my OW journey in less than a week!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the final dive, yes. I asked first and he said it was ok. There were no skills tests, just a cruise around.

The concern here is task loading for a new diver. At this point, you should really be focused on working on your trim & buoyancy and being relaxed. Just go dive for a while. Your SAC rate is probably a bit high and maybe you're even doing a good bit of hand sculling. Good photography takes great buoyancy control to get in close to your subject while not damaging the reef or silting up the surroundings. Just enjoy your diving for a bit and work on your buoyancy - maybe learn how to frog kick and helicopter turn. Once you master those, your photography will be much, much easier. Rule 1 though is to have fun and enjoy.

Dive is also fun, and carrying your camera in your last cert dive or a fun dive right after makes no difference at all. If conducted with awareness and after have figured that the diver has already the control (despite the fact that he still has only a few dives in his book; I won't let using a camera to a diver that is nervous, neither I believe he will ever ask to do so) I see nothing wrong with it, it will help to gain more confidence and to immortalize the incredible joy of being certified.

The concern here is task loading for a new diver. At this point, you should really be focused on working on your trim & buoyancy and being relaxed. Just go dive for a while. Your SAC rate is probably a bit high and maybe you're even doing a good bit of hand sculling. Good photography takes great buoyancy control to get in close to your subject while not damaging the reef or silting up the surroundings. Just enjoy your diving for a bit and work on your buoyancy - maybe learn how to frog kick and helicopter turn. Once you master those, your photography will be much, much easier. Rule 1 though is to have fun and enjoy.
I have actually seen new divers diving better with a camera - it seems to occupy that bit of their mind that is too focused on what they are doing. Instead of sculling/flailing, because their hands are busy, they end up controlling their buoyancy and trim a lot better. It just works (in some instances). I doubt that he wants "great" photos but more of a snapshot type for the memories.

If their instructor (who has watched the OP through the course) was happy that the camera didn't constitute a safety hazard that he (the instructor) would have been responsible for then I don't really see the issue.

Knowing the camera could potentially prove to be a big distraction is why I asked my instructor first. My lessons were 95% (probably more) 1 on 1 so he knew me very well by that point.

Today’s boat dives were awesome!! The other divers were so great and welcoming. I had to do a back roll off the boat for the first time and I was pretty scared at first but finally just went for it. It wasn’t as bad as I thought. I had no problems with buoyancy during the dive...except once at the very end where I started drifting up while we were waiting at about 12ft.

So I now have 248 minutes of bottom time and have gone to a depth of 59ft. My last dive was a max of 59 for 55 minutes total. I had about 800psi left at the end. Another diver had (what he said) about 200. Cutting it close.

As far as my air usage, I asked my instructor since I didn’t know if I was doing well or poorly, and he said I was great. At the end of dive 4 is actually only used about 200psi more than him.

I am already thinking about when I can do this again.

Congratulations and enjoy this crack we call scuba!

Today was my first day without diving since Monday. I might need professional help. I miss being underwater so much already.

I hate that there is nowhere to dive near my home. The closest site is probably about 1.5 hours away (not bad) but it's a yucky lake with about 15ft vis on a good day. Not sure how I'll handle that, but I NEED diving so much now I'll probably suck it up and try it. I need a buddy :(

Wow that was fast! My PADI card came today! My birthday is wrong on it so I guess I have to call them to fix it :-( but it’s still awesome to have! I couldn’t believe it came exactly one week after I got certified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom