Starting training tonight, and a question about wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dburg30

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Central Ohio area. Will be diving mostly during warm time of year. Will sometimes be on the coast of NC diving (once or twice a year). Should I look at a 5-7mm suit, or would a full 3 mm suffice? Or will I probably wind up with 2 suits? 1 for earlier / deeper water and the other for later / shallower / warmer water?

Thinking about a 3mm now, and wondering if I should get one before training (they have them in stock) just so I can get weighted correctly / get used to wearing it??

Thanks!

Hi dburg30,

Lots of new divers want to buy their stuff right away, but that can be a mistake. Most divers I know who bought stuff early, including me, learned that the stuff they initially bought wasn't ideal, and had to then buy different stuff.

The wetsuit you will need depends on your personal cold tolerance, the water temperature at depth, and the type of diving you will be doing. The make and type of suit you buy will depend on your build, personal preference, and budget. There are many options. You might want to get a custom-built wetsuit, for example.

Until you know all of those things, it would seem to be better IMO to save your money and rent a suit.

Three millimetre is cold.

It really depends upon the water temps you will be diving in. For MOST divers, generally speaking 3mm suits are for 75f to 85f, 4mm and 5mm suits are for 60f to 75f, and 6.5mm and 7mm suits are for 60f and colder temps.

There will always be those of us who chime in saying "I'm a polar bear and I use this here" or "I freeze in the jacuzzi and I use this there", but in general terms those thicknesses and temps will usually be pretty accurate.

dburg30, I get cold very easily. I wear a suit when the water feels like bath water. You won't go wrong with a 3mm suit, but it may not be warm enough for all your diving. It's a good starter and you can always later with a step-in jacket later. Many dive shops I've seen have these as rental options if you do go to NC and need more than 3mm. Consider a 5mm hooded vest to go with your 3mm full suit and you'll increase your range of temperature tolerance greatly.

Hard to go too far wrong with a 3mm full, it's the "Chevy Malibu" of wetsuits. it isn't too hot for truly warm water, and you can squeak it down to maybe as low as 68-70F if you add in a hoodie vest and warm gloves. That's what I've done, and if travel to colder water occasionally, then I just rent thicker.

If however most of your diving is going to be 75F or below, then go up to 5 or 7 mil. Of course, YMMV.

In your local quarries that are all but the shallowest even novice dives will take you down below some thermoclines that 3mm is not adequate for. Also Neoprene compresses and looses insulation with depth. To enjoy a reasonable local season there are times when you will want a full 7mm set. However you have some shallow quarries in which that will be way too much here in the summer heat. A 5mm full suit to which you can some vests may be a good way to get started.

As you projected, you are heading for a wardrobe!

Pete

why not buy a farmer john suit then you can wear the short part and when it gets cooler put the bibs on under it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom