State creates refuge area for whale shark near Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ibj40

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So, is the new law banning whale shark dive/snorkel trips in Mexican waters? It doesn't seem clear to me, and I'm hoping to go see the whale sharks next month...

No ban on snorkelling, but diving is not allowed.

Last week a group of about 90 was spotted.

Am I reading this right? You can’t scuba dive with whale sharks? I’m traveling to Cancun at the end of the month and was really looking forward to possibly diving with them

Am I reading this right? You can’t scuba dive with whale sharks? I’m traveling to Cancun at the end of the month and was really looking forward to possibly diving with them

You can snorkel, as noted above, but cannot be on Scuba.

Correct. Snorkeling only, no scuba.

As they are just below the surface there is no real need for scuba.

Right. I did the snorkel in Isla Mujeres exactly a year ago, as you see in this video I took then:

If you want to Scuba diving with the whalesharks, you need to go to Cendrawasih Bay, Indonesia, as you see here:

So I take it it’s extremely rare for a whale shark to pop up on a dive while in Cancun?? I guess I’ll start saving for Indonesia, hope I’m not too old by the time I save enough lol

So I take it it’s extremely rare for a whale shark to pop up on a dive while in Cancun?? I guess I’ll start saving for Indonesia, hope I’m not too old by the time I save enough lol

Just go snorkeling in Isla Mujeres between July and September for $125/day. You’ll have 99% chance to swim with them. Check these drone pictures, below. Those white specs, as big as the whalesharks are the boats that you’ll be on it before swimming with the whalesharks. So what do you think your chance of seeing them? :)

377E367C-A9B4-45EC-A782-FDC25939A580.jpeg
649FD776-5F02-44C3-A1F5-B50F6278BF11.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom