Staying in Sian Ka'an, Akumal, Tulum, recommendations for dive operator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimJensen

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

My dive buddy and I are staying near Tulum, in Akumal at the Sian Ka'an resort, from the 22nd November 2017, for roughty 10 days.
Both Advanced Open Water divers.
Which companies can people recommend? We would like to be picked up from the hotel.

Would like to dive with bull sharks (Playa del Carmen)? Also Cozumel. Any other suggestions for good dive sites (Tulum etc) will also be gratefully received.

Thanks, any suggestions / advice will be welcomed for good / recommended dive operators in the area,

Jim

When we stayed in Akumal, I dove with Bahia Divers (Bahia Divers). Did several days of ocean diving (so-so) and 2 days of cenotes (fantastic!). Drop em a line.

Hi Jim,
I did some dives last year in tulum last year in November. Frankly it was not that great may be as everyday we found sea rough and visibility not as good. on the other hand had great dives around Playa and Cozumel. You will be very close to lot of cenotes so that might be something you want to look at as they are very different and unique to the area "Dos Ojos" was the one we enjoyed. We utilized Home in Playa and were very satisfied with Rico. Small operation but he is extremely guest focused and provides great customer service. (not sure if he will pick up from akumal but you can ask) Also getting to cozumel will be little bit of travel each way please keep that in mind as most dive ops leave early in the morning.

Blue Experience: good guiding, personal attention, safety conscious. They are based in Akumal and can help you with both ocean diving and cenotes.

If it is not too late to modify your reservations, in order to dive Cozumel in comfort I would recommend you ferry over there and spend a few nights. The ocean diving there is more interesting than Akumal ... or Tulum.

Update... there is a recent thread on the Cozumel section of the board discussing how to make a day trip by ferry from Playa del Carmen. So, if you don't mind getting up early...

Akumal is a madhouse. Stay in the Half Moon Bay next to it in Del Sol. It is a 2 min walk from Akumal Dive Adventures dive shop which is very good. Their boat is small and they do 3 dives a day. Next to the dive shop is the excellent Buena Vida restaurant.

Thanks everyone, don't mind an early start if I am going diving, would really like to dive Cozumel. Had a fantastic day's diving last November in Playa del Carmen, saw bull sharks.

Definitely talk to Tim and Kathrin at Blue Experience...you won't be disappointed!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom