STCW 95 Training to work on liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaLuuke

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am trying to find out whether or not liveaboards require their crew members to take the 3 day or 5 day STCW 95 course prior to becoming employed? If anybody has any insight on this topic or working on a liveaboard as a crew member I would greatly appreciate the responses!

5 day, if the liveaboard flies a US flag.

PM sent.

I am trying to find out whether or not liveaboards require their crew members to take the 3 day or 5 day STCW 95 course prior to becoming employed? If anybody has any insight on this topic or working on a liveaboard as a crew member I would greatly appreciate the responses!

as MJY says, it all depends on the country registration. Some countries are very strict (like USA) about safety equipment, also. Some countries are not. (this is also a big issue with cruise ships, the laws that govern them, and how problems are resolved if they arise.)

Well, Not quite. Most US flagged liveaboards are under 100 gross tons, therefore, STCW is not required for crewmembers, in fact, I have full STCW training, and the USCG refuses to credit me with it because I only have a 150 ton license. I do get credit on my unlimited engineers license, however. Many liveaboard companies require you to have STCW because they operate on internaional voyages, or are foriegn flagged. I send all full-time staff to STCW because I sometimes do work where the charterer requires the crew to be certified. It is based on the requirements of the boat owner and the size/route of the boat.

from the CG website..........

Basic information about how STCW affects different individual area related to the marine industry, listed below:

* Mariners - How STCW affects you as a mariner.
* Owners and Operators - How STCW affects you as a company official.
* Vessel Masters - How STCW affects you as the master of a vessel.

Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view the PDF files on this page. To download this free software, click the button below.

Get Acrobat Reader

Mariners

How STCW affects you as a mariner?

How does STCW-95 differ from STCW-78 and to whom does STCW-95 apply?

* The International Code on Standards for Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping for Seafarers came into force in 1978 (STCW-78). The U.S. licensing scheme was designed to closely conform to STCW-78. The 1995 amendments to the Code (STCW-95) added more "hands-on" demonstrations of your skill & ability to prove that you are qualified to serve aboard seagoing vessels. The biggest change with STCW-95 is that it formalizes the documentation of your ability to perform these tasks. STCW-95 applies to all present & future mariners who wish to sail beyond the boundary lines of the United States on commercial vessels. (The "boundary lines" essentially separate the bays, harbors & other inland waters from the oceans.) The U.S. exempts mariners from STCW requirements who serve on small passenger vessels inspected under subchapters T and K and other vessels of less than 200 Gross tons sailing on near coastal, domestic voyages. A near coastal, domestic voyage is one that begins and ends in a U.S. port, does not touch at a foreign port or enter foreign waters, and is not more than 200 miles from shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom