Steel 119 VS 130

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pardon my ignorance (only have 41 dives in) the tanks that diverite express sells state are nitrox ready. Not sure if they are o2 washed where I can have blends made instead of the standard 32 or 36%. Thanks

Pardon my ignorance (only have 41 dives in) the tanks that diverite express sells state are nitrox ready. Not sure if they are o2 washed where I can have blends made instead of the standard 32 or 36%. Thanks

First of all, any tank/valve is good for premixed nitrox up to 40%.

Here's what DiveRite Express says on their website:
Dive Rite Express offers diving products labeled "Nitrox Ready", whose oxygen-compatible components are free of hydrocarbons and other contaminants. With Dive Rite Express , you don't have to make expensive aftermarket alterations to use oxygen-rich gas mixtures.

When the SCUBA diving community prepares an item for use with breathing gases containing high oxygen percentages or pure oxygen, they generally think in terms of washing it with detergents, replacing rubber parts such as O-rings and seals with oxygen-compatible equivalents and reassembling with oxygen-compatible lubricants. However, most other industries working with very high pressure oxygen (over 20,000 psi service pressures!) have a very different standard known as oxygen service.

Oxygen service means the materials are both:

* Oxygen Compatible -- compatible with high concentrations of oxygen.
* Oxygen Clean -- free of hydrocarbon contamination and particulate matter.

True oxygen cleaning of an oxygen compatible component (often made from special metal alloys such as monel) takes place in a special clean room, whose atmosphere is free of dust and contaminants. Once the component is free of hydrocarbons and other combustible elements, it is sealed within a sterile environment and never again exposed to normal atmospheric dust, moisture, and contaminants. Only then is the item said to be suitable for oxygen service.

Cylinders and Valves Are Nitrox-Ready

Dive Rite Express offers diving products labeled Nitrox Ready, whose oxygen-compatible components are free of hydrocarbons and other flammable contaminants. The metal components are usually steel, aluminum or brass; which are suitable for use with oxygen at the pressures encountered in diving actvities. The lubricant used in assembly is Christo-Lube® or other oxygen-compatible lubricants. The O-rings are made from Viton® or other oxygen-compatible materials. These components are not, however, assembled in a clean room or sealed in a sterile environment. As a result, the we do not label the products as suitable for oxygen service, although they are generally considered to meet oxygen service criteria at pressures encountered in the diving community.

Just to repeat what a number of the other posters said, the HP 130 is a beautiful tank. It trims out very well and that extra gas is great.

Cheers,
Bill.

I bought a HP 119 nov. last year and made my first dive last weekend due to dive buddy loosing interest. We made 2 dives to 50' for about 45-50 minutes each. My wife was using PST80's and had to change out. I filled with 32% and still had about 700 at the end of the second but was very impressed with the trim and bouyancy. I'll be getting another so we only have to carry 2 tanks instead of three/four.

I dive a 119, and I gotta say another inch and pound really won't make a difference. The tank is already pretty heavy and very negative to start with when full, and if that is not an issue for you go with the 130 for the extra air.

BTW, I'm not too far away from you (VA Beach) and I dive Lake Rawlings farily often. I would be happy to let you try out my 119 there. I'm out of town this weekend (San Diego, diving wreck alley on Sunday :) ) but back later in the week.

Rob

Actually there is a significant difference in trim between a 119 and a 130. I usually have to keep my 119s slightly lower (still able to reach the valve though) than when I dive a 130.

Would a 130 be too big for someone who is short? I'm only 5'6 and I find that an aluminum 80 is too tall for me so I am considering purchasing a HP119 and now because of this thread, possibly an HP130. Anybody think a 130 would be to big for someone of my stature?

Thanks everyone for your input. I just ordered 2 130's. I will be diving at the end of the month at Moorehead city. Will post a report..

I have both set, 119s and 130s.

Both sets are great to me. The biggest difference is the length between two sets. So, depending on your height, 119s can be good or bad choice.

I found the extra length of the Worthington 120s to be a pain. I ended up buying the shorter, and fatter, 130s. The 130s are, in my opinion, a near-perfect tank for recreational Nitrox diving.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom