Steel 140's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrySuitDave

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Angeles, where the debris meets the sea
It appears Mares makes a steel 150.

Beuchat makes a steel 140 that has a really cool double k valve that allows for a second 1st stage.

I may be interested in one of these as a spare tank.

Anyone know if they are available in the US and DOT rated?

Because they are much heavier, there would be more maintenance, and they would have far more drag in the water.

The tanks you've linked to are a 18L and 15L tank. The first is good to 200 bar and the second is good to 230 bar. They aren't 140 or 150 cu feet tanks.

200bar is 2901 psi
232bar is 3365 psi
300bar is 4351 psi

You'd have to go to 3300psi in the 18L tank to be a 140 and 3535 in it to be a 150. OMS sells a 20L LP tank in the states. It's there 131 I think. And if you bring one of these tanks into the states you'd probably never get it filled. Unless you own a compressor yourself. The Mares is a Faber tank by the way as is the OMS.

My numbers might be a little off. It's a little early for me.... But I know those tanks you've listed wont hold 150 or 140.

Hey... yea you can get them. I live in Washington and bought one of the Beuchat tanks bout a week ago. The one I got is actually stamped 127cu ft. at a 2900psi operating pressure and is DOT approved. But when I bought it, it came with a DIN valve and filled to 3500psi (which would be around 153cu ft.) Its a heavy bastard though. -27lbs. WHEN EMPTY!

But when I bought it, it came with a DIN valve and filled to 3500psi (which would be around 153cu ft.) Its a heavy bastard though. -27lbs. WHEN EMPTY!

This means that with a 3500psi fill, you are right around 39lbs negative. That's a lot of weight. What happens when your reg fails, and you can't breathe, add air to your BC/drysuit, or swim that -39lb beast to the surface? Your only options are to orally inflate your BC while buddy breathing, or ditch your gear and do an ESA.

IMO, going with something like a Faber or OMS 120/125 or OMS 131 is a better idea if you need that much gas.....jack 'em up to 3500psi and you have 165 and 173cu ft respectively. You also have a tank that is close to neutral when empty, so not more than about 12 or 13lbs negative when totally full.....which means you may even still need some ditchable weight depending on what type of exposure suit you are using.

Mike

My LDS will fill their OMS 131's 4000psi. That's almost 200cuft. That should be plenty of gas for whatever you need. It's also suicidally close to the hydro rating and needs an HP burst disk. If not, lots of places fill LP's to 3500. On a 131, that gives you about 175 cuft.

brandon

This means that with a 3500psi fill, you are right around 39lbs negative. That's a lot of weight. What happens when your reg fails, and you can't breathe, add air to your BC/drysuit, or swim that -39lb beast to the surface? Your only options are to orally inflate your BC while buddy breathing, or ditch your gear and do an ESA.

I know... That is the only thing that worries me about that tank. I'm gonna be adding a Y valve so I can carry 2 first stages on it. So, the only things left to go wrong are a blown burst disk or I just run out of air. But, I'm gonna sling a pony also just to be safe. And I dive dry so I need bout 38lbs. anyways. Any suggestions to make this rig safer would be appreciated.

Making it safer is easy. Go to doubles:)

Originally posted by Mverick
Making it safer is easy. Go to doubles:)
I wasn't about to suggest that again...
Because they are much heavier, there would be more maintenance, and they would have far more drag in the water.

btw Mverick... we set up some singles rigs for trips where we couldn't take doubles and have been playing with them...

Thursday we used the dubs for a mix dive and now I want to bolt my single 104s together for another set of dubs to use with EAN32.... so much nicer than singles.... heavier... a little yes... but oh so nice... :D

Back
Top Bottom