Steel cylinder buoyancy characteristics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ehuber

Contributor
Reaction score
I was looking at two steel cylinders for purchase, both from Worthington. The 120cf was $45 more expensive than the 119cf, so I was wondering what the buoyancy characteristics of each of these cylinders would be.

The first is a HP Steel 119cf (8" diameter, 24" height) and the other HP Steel 120cf (7 1/4" diameter and 28" height).

My body composition is 165lb at 6'1" height and fit.

I'm curious if the shorter, stout tank would be better for my general frame or if the taller, thin tank would be better for someone with my average dimensions.

The 119 is heavier by a couple of pounds, but both are essentially -2 empty and -11 full.

Whether the tank length will make a big difference depends on how much other weight you are wearing, and where you are putting it.

At your height, both should work. The HP120 is a too long for many divers, who then end up with trim problems. You're just tall enough that it would probably be ok for you.

OTOH, I'm 6'3", and do just fine with the HP119.

So really, whichever you want. I like the shorter height of the 119 for storage and transport purposes (lines up nicely with my HP100s, too... same height).

At 6'3" the X7-120s trim perfectly for me. I would not want to be much shorter than 6' with them, though, they are long.

Those 119s that Worthington makes for XS Scuba are nice cylinders. Looking more closely at the specs the 130s look pretty tempting, too. Is there a common opinion about tank boots for doubles tanks?

ehuber:
Those 119s that Worthington makes for XS Scuba are nice cylinders. Looking more closely at the specs the 130s look pretty tempting, too. Is there a common opinion about tank boots for doubles tanks?
The advice usually given is: don't do it.

Naturally, people either take the advice or ignore it freely, depending on their needs.

I've never had a problem leaving tank boots on my Worthington cylinders for singles, but my only doubles to date have been aluminum, for which I removed the boots (flat bottoms, so boots not really needed). Not really a fair comparison to steel, since steel tanks have annoying rounded bottoms without a boot.

YMMV...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom