Steel tank buying decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cricfanSD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a chance to buy Worthington HP80 and HP100 for $300 combined. The original hydro is 05/05 and the Vis is not current. The tanks were O2 cleaned and currently filled with EANx for last 2 years according to the owner.

Is this a good buy ? Is there any chance of corrosion for the tank to sit idle for 2-3 years ? I checked the exterior, they looked almost new.

5/5 for Worthington HP? I thought they came out after that. Are you sure they are not PST?

Yes, Yes, Make the deal contingent on a clean VIS at your shop and I would not hesitate paying the fee, if they pass.

The likelihood of there being problematic corrosion is slight and you can just buy them outright for that price if you are not averse to a slight risk.

Pete

Oops my bad, Yeah these are PST-E7. Thanks Pete.
I think the price is really attractive.

The price is great! Practically a steal. Break them open, however and look inside with a light to see if you see rust. It's easy, just drain the pressure and twist the valve with a wrench. If it is bright shiny clean inside, go for it!

5/5 for Worthington HP? I thought they came out after that. Are you sure they are not PST?

Pete

Worthiongton HP started shipping to dive stores in Feb '04

Great Deal. I bought my HP100 for 200 alone.

Worthiongton HP started shipping to dive stores in Feb '04

Are you sure? (Yes, I know who you are.) Was there a HP series before the X series?

I ask because I started diving in the summer of 2005 and I seem to recall it was a while after I got my 4 E7-80s that was before word came out that the X series was coming to relieve the PST shortage.

In FEB 2004 I don't think I was in contact ScubaBoard or any dive related news.

Pete

Thanks everyone. I bought the tanks. I took the HP 80 for inspection and this is what was reported, "There is some minor rusting spotting starting on the inside which is unusual for a tank this young. It's not a big deal unless it gets worse. There's not special you need to do; just get it filled at a reputable place and never letting the pressure fall below 300psi."

Is this a good suggestion or do I need a tumble or chemical rust cleaning ?

I took the HP 80 for inspection and this is what was reported, "There is some minor rusting spotting starting on the inside which is unusual for a tank this young. It's not a big deal unless it gets worse. There's not special you need to do; just get it filled at a reputable place and never letting the pressure fall below 300psi."
Reasonable. You probably do not need a tumble. You mentioned the tanks were O2 cleaned before, but I get the impression you are not going to maintain their O2 clean status. If you were you would get them tumbled anyway. If not, and you get fills at a shop with reliable air (not boat fills, which may have a bit more moisture), you shouldn't have a problem. Virtually every steel tank develops some rust.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom