Steel tank help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep the Tank is in test.. until April 2021 :) Just trying to confirm the capacity which is looking more and more likely to be a 12Ltr

Yeah but he asked for a photo please and providing photos of the markings on tanks necks is the standard and usually yields better results and people like pertinent photos especially from those requesting information as a common courtesy and I bought two tanks recently that had been repainted with home printed stickers and forged stamped test stamps that's all

Yes, I remember a shop in Sydney years ago doing this.
Also an old post I found in the search engine on this site :
Specs on the old 72cf steel tanks?

66 cft 72 is a 10% overfill

Wasn't a shop this one, yeah my bloke, I've been diving the same boats with for three years very regularly so I don't know whether to be more offended that the bum tried one on, or that the bum thought I wouldn't pick it.
Knows no bounds this stupidity thing

The guy I bought it off said it was a 12.2L.tank but I'm not so sure.

"So the guy I bought it off" is either also misinformed or trying to misrepresent

It's a lower pressure that's why it's cf if lower than a standard 12.2l 232bar tank

Beautiful and what we are looking at here is a deliberate failure to communicate truthfully
So is it an 8.7 litres ish 72cft tank and not 12.2l as the trickster seller feller said

Shenannigans City!

it is just slightly less than a 12 liter tank by water volume (72 cf is roughly 2039 liters and 2475 psi is roughly 170.6 bar, you do the math and you get 11.9 liters).

the actual usable capacity is just significantly lower than a standard 232 bar 12.2 liter tank because of the lower service pressure.

Photos of the top of the tank as requested

Attachments

• 20201202_213418.jpg
    20201202_213418.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 20201202_213431.jpg
    20201202_213431.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 20201202_213444.jpg
    20201202_213444.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 96
it clearly states 2250 psi thats 153 bar to get the 10% overfill it would have to have been kept up ...it was not so its not even 160 bar as the "majic marker says "

So is it an 8.7 litres ish 72cft tank and not 12.2l as the trickster seller feller said

Shenannigans City!

It's shenanigans alright, but not for the reason you think. It's a 12l tank, just not the one you think it is. It's the downside of metric, you need to know the size of the bottle, and the pressure to know the capacity of the tank. You assumed the capacity because that is the standard now.

I have had the same problem here by a tank monkey that just look at the tank and assume it's a HP100. Fortunately I was waiting for the tank and saw over 3000# on the gauge and had him shut the fill down. Now I make sure the shop knows what they are filling.

It's shenanigans alright, but not for the reason you think. It's a 12l tank, just not the one you think it is. It's the downside of metric, you need to know the size of the bottle, and the pressure to know the capacity of the tank. You assumed the capacity because that is the standard now.

I have had the same problem here by a tank monkey that just look at the tank and assume it's a HP100. Fortunately I was waiting for the tank and saw over 3000# on the gauge and had him shut the fill down. Now I make sure the shop knows what they are filling.
It's actually the perfect example on why I prefer imperial for tank volume. Not that imperial is better, but we typically measure gas volume when using imperial vs water volume when using the metric. Personally, I try to avoid filling my tanks with water so water volume is only useful for the guy who does my hydro.

Nothing's stopping folks from identifying tanks by gas volume in metric to eliminate such confusion but for some reason they just don't do it that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom